JIRA Dynamic notifications to groups based on component selections

Tim Theis May 6, 2014

I have a requirement to sent notifications from JIRA with the following conditions:

When the issue reaches Status X:
Based on the components that are selected for the issue, send to a corresponding group distribution for each component (we are using ldap groups).

Example:

Component 1 = ldap group 1
Component 2 = ldap group 2
Component 3 = ldap group 3

If issue has Component 1 & 2 selected and is transitioned to Status X, then send notification to ldap group 1 & 2.

Any suggestions on how to acheive this requirement?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2014

Ok, you've got two issues here. (Sending an email on a transition is a standard notification function, so that's a doddle and I won't ramble about it)

First, you can't associate groups with components. They have a component lead, and that's about it. You could get a bit clever with this though: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.burningcode.jira.plugin.jiracomponentwatcher

Second, although your groups are ldap generated, are they set up in Jira that way? If they're set up correctly, then your groups are exposed in Jira and contain Jira users, so they'll work fine, but I'm not sure if you really mean that your component changes should always notify the members of groups as Jira sees them.

My immediate thought on an overall solution is to set up dummy users for each ldap group, but then you'll need to map them to ldap groups somehow. I suspect the plugin I've mentioned will probably work a lot better, because if your ldap groups are directly inside Jira (as I'd expect/hope) then you can just apply a group as a watcher on each component and then mention it in the notification scheme and you're done.

Tim Theis May 8, 2014

Thanks for your response Nic!

A few comments:

1. Yes, understand the standard notificaiton function on transition. But since I want to isolate these recipients for only the transition into Approval status that I would need to populate the distribution as part of the transition.

2. So in the case of the component watchers plugin, it says for JIRA 6 that those designated as component watchers would receive the equivalent of "All Watchers" in a notificaiton scheme. Since these users would actually be "component approvers", they don't to get all the updates that a normal watcher on the issue would receive.

3. So I guess what I'd need to test is if I could somehow dynamically populate the component watchers during the transition into approval. I'm guessing this isn't so simple since this isn't a custom field...

Also: Yes, the JIRA directory is based off Active Directory so the ldap groups appear in JIRA as an other internal group and could be added directly to the component watchers setup.

Thanks for your advise.

Suggest an answer