JIRA Dropdown list

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2017

Hi,

We are using JIRA Server, we are going to have three dropdown custom fields with 100,200 and 50 values in it. Is there any limit for dropdown list or any suggestions on this.

Can we use labels custom field instead of dropdown list?

Thanks,

Ashish.

1 answer

1 vote
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Hi Ashish,

I don't know if there's a limit on the number of custom field selections, but I'd want to test the performance of a field like that, to make sure it doesn't slow the loading of the create screen, for example.  

Maybe someone else from the Community can respond with more info about option limits?

As far as labels, they are super felxible, which makes them both great and horrible at the same time.  :)  Your end users will have to be careful to use the needed format, syntax, and spelling, for you to effectively query on them.

For example, let's say I'm wanting the user to tag an issue with the country they are from.  Some users might add:  US, U.S., USA, U.S.A., United States, United States of America, trump-land, plus a typo or two.  

Hope this helps and maybe got a laugh (or cry) for "trump-land",

Rachel Wright

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2017

Lol, Thank you :-). Let see for more suggestions .

Suggest an answer