JIRA - Does adding video attachments slow down ticket load times?

Nicholas Hibshman January 2, 2018

Our team has been trying to come up with better ways of documenting parts of our work, and in some cases it could be useful to record our screen while performing particularly complicated tasks (using OBS).

However, one team member brought up the concern that adding videos to the page may dramatically increase load times (which can already be a little slow). Currently our size limit per attachment is 10MB. 

I've done some preliminary testing using F12, and haven't noticed any difference with reasonable amount of attachments, up to 10 or 20.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, does anyone know how to stop the videos in comments from autoplaying (without disabling HTML5 autoplay altogether?)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Hi Nicholas,

From what I know, the attachment are stored on disk and as a database entry associating an ID with the attachment title and the attachment URI to make it simple. It means that no matter how the attachments are huge, that should not impact your performances (there is no such thing as preloading all attachments etc...). I trust Atlassian to rely on a trustable algorithm for video preview which won't load all content but stream part of it (like Youtube etc...).

Hope this helps!

Nicholas Hibshman January 4, 2018

Yeah that helps! I think we'll give it a try!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Great, please let us know if you face any performance issue, that might be a lot of people concern :)

Suggest an answer