JIRA Default issue statuses not available for assignment to Agile Board columns

ElyseG January 14, 2016

I have a configuration that includes the default JIRA issue types (Epic, Bug, Story, Task, Subtask) using the JIRA default workflows and a number of custom types with highly customized workflows.

The customized record types show up in my backlog and on the project board, but the base record types like Story and Bug do not.

When I try to update the Board configuration to make sure the columns include the statuses for the default issue types, the default statuses (OPEN, IN DEVELOPMENT, RESOLVED, REOPENED, CLOSED) are not available for assignment.

When I create a Story from the Board page, I get a popup message that the issue was created but is not currently visible.

What do I need to change to make the Board handle both the default and the custom record types?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2016

Start with a look at the board filter.  What projects does it include?  Now list the project's workflow schemes.

I suspect you will find that the missing status are not used by the workflows you've listed out.

ElyseG January 14, 2016

Nope.

I've set the filter so the ONLY thing it does is select the project.

Board filter accesses the project, which has about 15 different workflows, including the default non-simple JIRA one used by the standard issue types. The Statuses from the default workflow are not available on the board column configuration page. OPEN in particular is conspicuous by its absence.

Stories, which use the default workflow, do not appear in the Backlog and their statuses do not appear on the column configuration page. If we look at all issues, the stories show up.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2016

Ah, ok, I suspect you've hit a bug that I've run into a couple of times.  JIRA tries to be clever about what status it offers you, but when you add clauses to the board filter, it messes up and loses them.

Setting the board filter to "project = X" almost always fixed it for me, allowing me to get the full list of status back (even though it incorrectly showed some of them as "this status is not used in this project"), but I had to re-index the project (while the filter was just project = x) to get it to pick up once.  Could you try that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2016

And I think this is the bug report - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11623

Suggest an answer