JIRA Database switch query

Sanu Soman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2013

Hi All,

We have two JIRA instance running like, JIRA A with HSQL and JIAR B with oracle DB1.. both having same data.

Now I want to change the DB for these JIRA instance like, JIRA A has to connect DB1 and JIRA B to new oracle DB ie DB2? Please suggest the best way to do this.

Is it possible to simply change HSQL to Oracle DB1 for JIRA A by editing dbconfig.xml file? Is this will work? or JIRA everytime look for empty DB?

Many thanks in advance :)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2013

If both JIRA A and B are the same version, you can just swap the dbconfig.xml and perform a reindex. You might want to make sure that the plugins exist on each of the instance and is the same version.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2013

So I can go ahead with changing dbconfig.xml file... right?

Sure, if you are afraid, make a backup of your Oracle DB and copy your HSQL database folder.

1 vote
Sanu Soman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2013

Do I need to restart the JIRA service for this? Or simply editing dbconfig.xml to map second DB will work? please advise.

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2013

You would have to shutdown the service, edit the dbconfig.xml and restart to ensure JIRA point to the new database.

1 vote
Sanu Soman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2013

Yes.. both instance are having same version.. only difference is DB. So I can go ahead with changing dbconfig.xml file... right?

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2013

It shouldn't be problem if both are using the same version. Timothy has a point there which you need to backup the directories as a precautions. From Atlassian point of view, we would suggest the XML import method instead: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Switching+Databases#SwitchingDatabases-differenttype

Suggest an answer