JIRA Database space allocation on MSSQL server

Tukaram Bhukya [L&T INFOTECH] June 4, 2014

Please some one can help me , how much space required for JIRA DATABASE on MSSQL server. We have around 15 projects , 8000 issues and 150 users. For above requirement what will be the hardware requirement for MSSQL server

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2014

Disk space is cheap enough that you really don't need to worry about the database nowadays. It's quite likely that the smallest disk you can get will be more than enough for the database. Biggest one I've worked with was under 50Gb

If the details are really important, I should say that you're not looking at quite the right metrics - projects aren't worth counting, users aren't too important. The main thing is the number of issues, but you need to compound that with the usage of custom fields and the volume of changes to issues.

In most cases though, the real worry is attachments. These stack up a lot faster than the database grows, and of course, are kept just on a disk as plain files. I'd throw a few gig at the database and forget it, then go look at the attachments.

Tukaram Bhukya [L&T INFOTECH] June 4, 2014

Thanks for response.

MY DBA team need atleast some hardware details , could you have any rough idea ,so i can provide that to dba team to setup new MSSQL server for jira database

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2014

Don't know really, I don't work with MS-SQL much. I'd actually ask your DBAs what they'd recommend for a database of a few GB with a relatively low access rate (Jira doesn't tend to stress databases a lot, the MySQL/PostGreSQL/Oracle installs I tend to use tick over at 1-2% CPU usage)

I would, however, recommend getting an opinion from someone more experienced than me with MS-SQL!

Suggest an answer