JIRA Data in a WebApp

Raghuraman Varadarajan April 29, 2014

We wish to extract JIRA Data from JIRA Java API and save the data into an Sql Server or any other database

Can we use JIRA Java API in a webapp that lives outside JIRA?

Would appreciate any help

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2014

You can call only the JIRA REST API from outside of JIRA.

Can you give more details about what exaclty are you trying to achieve ?

Raghuraman Varadarajan April 29, 2014

The idea is to use JIRA data and create snapshots of the same, lets say every week. We are creating a web app where we will track JIRA data every week and analyze trends and will setup our customized trend analyzer . So I will have to compare JIRA snapshots from my past week and this week, which I will have in an SQL Server and then create trend reports....

So I plan to design a web app that will use JIRA data and I shall create my own snapshots in a table , lets say using spring and hibernate

Raghuraman Varadarajan April 30, 2014

Would appreciate an answer on this

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2014

Boris's answer pretty much covers it. Use REST to extract the data you need, and store it within your app.

It will NOT be in any sense a "snapshot" - REST doesn't expose everything (only raw issue data really). If you're serious about a snapshot, then you should simply dump the database, or run the xml export (assuming the data is quite small) every week and build up a nice huge pile of data snapshots which you'll need to build data dictionaries for.

Suggest an answer