JIRA Dashboarding

Ryan Berry June 30, 2017

Hi All,

Ive been tasked with generating some visibility into what the dev team is working on.  What better way to do this then setting up some dashboards that I can hand to my manager, I would recommend that he go to the scrum board - but theres not enough data..  I cant seem to figure out how to filter stories and defects into a dashboard without bringing in every ticket (including backlog items that havent been assigned to a sprint yet).  Is there an easy way to create a dashboard with specific filters from the issue level?  I know that fix version can be used to box dashboards around releases, however we arent leveraging that field as of yet - is that imperative?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2017

It sounds like you're trying to filter down to issues only within active sprints, or at least assigned to a particular sprint. Is that assumption accurate?

You can use some advanced searching or JQL to help filter down to issues within a specific sprint. Here's a couple of examples of JQL you can add to existing filters.

• Sprint in openSprints()
  • sprint = ##
    • The "##" is the sprint ID. This ID can be hard to find, so alternatively, you can go to the backlog for your board and click the Issue Navigator icon next to the sprint name to view all issues assigned to that sprint within the Issue Navigator, then save it as a filter you can use in a gadget on a dashboard.

That Issue Navigator icon looks like this, by the way.

icon.PNG

You can also filter issues based on most fields in JIRA, so filters can be as broad or granular as you need them to be. You can then use those filters in gadgets on dashboards to see the information you want to see.

Hope that helps - filters and dashboards are simple in theory, but configuring them to see exactly what you want to see can be a time-consuming process, that's for sure. :)

0 votes
Sha Melo July 9, 2020

I am looking for something very similar to this as well.

What are common metrics that most Agile teams want to be able to review:

• Sprint burndown
  • Sprint Status (remaining days)
  • Sprint work (committed vs completed)
  • Features or Epics in sprint (completed vs remaining)

And from a project level:

• completed points per epic
  • remaining points per epic
  • estimated remaining sprints in total
  • estimated remaining sprints per epic
  • count of new tickets created - maybe week over week?
  • due dates for testing of each epic

Does anyone have examples of filters to use, or even better, an example of a dashboard that is useful? Thanks.

Suggest an answer