JIRA Dashboard is no longer accessible after installing VS2010 on a JIRA server (Windows 2008 Server)

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2012

After installing Visual Studio on a Windows 2008 server that hosts our JIRA instance we can no longer access JIRA. Chrome displays a generic 404 error - The requested resource () is not available.

In atlassian-jira.log I find:

2012-09-19 12:14:18,237 main ERROR [atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.

com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: java.sql.SQLException: Cannot open database "jiradb" requested by the login. The login failed.

I am able to 'manually' log on to the JIRADB database using the login configured in JIRA

Presumably, the VS2010 installation has made some permissions changes to SQLServer logins in the background, but they are not obvious.

Does anyone have a suggestion was to where I should start looking? Any help gratefully received.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2012

After running the JIRA config.bat file to start the configuration UI and checking that the JIRA database configuration parameters had not changed, I tried a Test Connection - which was successful.

Somewhat confused by this, and having run out of useful ideas, I simply stopped and restarted the JIRA service application from the respective icons on the Windows Start menu. Magic - the problem went away. However, the underlying cause remains obscure.

Take home message - make sure JIRA service is always restarted after adding/upgrading any software (not just Atlassian) on the server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2012

Ah, yes, if you pull Jira's database out from underneath it (changes to the database server will stop and restart the service), it often struggles to reconnect. Simply refreshing the connections (by restarting the application) is required.

Suggest an answer