JIRA - Customize When Email Notifications are Sent

Chris Miller June 11, 2015

Is there a way to customize, either globally or at a user level, when notification emails are sent? I'd like to be able to specify whether it sends an email for just comments, title change, re-assignment, etc. so i can reduce the amount of emails that a ticket watcher receives.

Ideally, it would allow for global settings, but with users able to further adjust or override those global settings. And of course, all of these would be options apart from the default of today.

I would be able to tell the system only notify the user a ticket is being assigned to rather than all watchers.

Set an "edit threshold" so another email isn't sent for format or punctuation changes on comments/descriptions

Turn off notifications for work logged

Thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2015

You can define the notifications based on the events as described at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

As you can see, you can specify the events for which the mail is sent.

0 votes
Chris Miller June 11, 2015

Jobin's suggestion does take care of a lot of it. Not quite to the granularity i would like, but getting me 80% of the way there is far better than nothing. Thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2015

Not at that level.  I assume you've already found the notification scheme - that's it really.  You can amend that, but it built on "events" such as "issue changed", not "change of arbitrary part of issue"

So, you can do comments, assign and updated separately, but not "title change" or any form of "minor" edit - that's just a change.  And the setup is static - you either choose to tell the watchers on event X, or you don't.

Suggest an answer