JIRA Custom Field with 'Status' Appearance

Reg M December 10, 2015

I am trying to recreate the 'How are we tracking?' custom field from the Project Central demo at Summit15.

Here is a slide displaying the custom field:

cutting-through-the-noise-breaking-down-hierarchical-communication-channels-and-silos-19-1024.jpg

(Taken from Slide 19 here: https://summit.atlassian.com/videos/interact/communication-silos)

It looks like this field is a Single-Select custom field displayed like the Confluence 'Status' macro, coloured either green, yellow or red. But I'm unclear how to create a custom field with this appearance.

Can I achieve this appearance and behaviour with the default JIRA and Confluence fields? Or with a plugin?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ron Romain
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2015

We achieved this by having the custom field values for "How are we tracking" be AUI span classes. As the CSS is already loaded it displays as the lozenges when viewed in the browser. Can be a little less clear when using a REST endpoint though, or searching as the value is the whole thing not just "On Track" etc. So the possible values of that field would be:

• "<span class='status-macro aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-success'>On Track</span>"
  • "<span class='status-macro aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-current'>At Risk</span>"
  • "<span class='status-macro aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-error'>Off Track</span>"

Edit: As noted below you need to enable the html macro in the system Wiki Renderer Macro's Plugin.

Reg M December 11, 2015

Thanks Ron for this explanation. Can you direct me to any documentation for how to implement this in our JIRA instance? Is the CSS loaded by default on all JIRA instances, or do we need to do that manually? Or does it rely on a particular type of custom field? Thanks again for taking the time, appreciated.

Reg M December 14, 2015

I figured this out by enabling the html macro in the system Wiki Renderer Macros Plugin. It's working now -- thanks again!

Ron Romain
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2015

Anytime!

Roberto Saltini September 18, 2016

Hi, is this still the best way to go or is there something newer and less "hacky" in the current JIRA version to achieve the same?

0 votes
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
November 6, 2019

Hi @Reg M are you still looking into this? We're exploring what we can do in this space and would love to speak to any customers that would be interested. 

Let me know if you've got time for a chat -- smansour at atlassian dot com. 

Reg M November 7, 2019

Hi @Sherif Mansour, we implemented this using the format described above. Feel welcome to contact me separately if you have any questions.

--r

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2019

Would love to but don't have your contact details - can email me at the email above and we can go from there?

mf February 10, 2021

Hi @Sherif Mansour  - Do you have any more information on this.  I am looking to do this in Jira Cloud.

Suggest an answer