JIRA Custom Field Name Vs Display

Vaidehi Iyer April 16, 2014

InJIRA is it possible to have custom field name as "XXXXXXXX" but display on the screen be as "YY"?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2014

It's not possible at least from my experience (I've searched a lot for that), and I really find that very frustrating as there are many cases where I need to have some logical name and some display name different than the logical name.

Another related problem is that this limitation forces you to name two or more custom fields with the same name just make them appear with the same label on screens which make their administration a lot harder.

0 votes
Kyle Mitofsky August 17, 2014

Added Feature Request to Jira:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-39586

0 votes
Vaidehi Iyer April 16, 2014

Thanks for your response. I am new to JIRA and have used similar tool before which had that feature. You are correct, its is frustrating.

Strange that it allows us to have 2 different fields have same name. Surely, that would be difficult to administer.

Vaidehi Iyer April 17, 2014

Though, I noticed that if you have different description for same name custom field then it becomes easy to administer.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2014
not really when you get to configuring screens, schemes, workflow, etc...
Vaidehi Iyer April 17, 2014

Yup.. you are correct.

Suggest an answer