JIRA Custom Field Context issue

foolhunger Hsiao December 3, 2012

I created a custom field(select list) called 'Type', and in Project A, I have 3 issue types, is there a way to configure 'Type' with different select list options for each issue type under Project A? Thanks

for example:

• Issue Type 1, 'Type' with values 1, 2, 3
  • Issue Type 2, 'Type' with values A, B, C
  • Issue Type 3, 'Type' with values X, Y, Z

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

Hey there,

Yes this is possible via a Custom Field Context. To do this, go to Administration > Custom Fields, click the Cogwheel icon on the far right side of your custom field, select Configure.

Select the "Add new context" option. You can specify the Select List options for particular issue types and particular projects from here by adding a new context for each Project/Issue type combo. :)

Yes, But the problem is, the first time I choose Project A and issue type A,B as context, the next time, Project A won't shown in the list again, you know, I still have issue type C to configure for Project A.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2012

Yes, this is a long-standing bug in Jira - once you've configured one project context, it drops off the list. That's fine if you're only configuring by project, but if you're trying to do project and issue type, it can become a problem.

I don't seem to have the bug report bookmarked, but I don't remember that there are any work-arounds. I think you can sort part of it out by making a context quite wide initially and then narrowing it, but that only helps with the first time you run into it and it's not ideal. Also, you can force it by putting contexts directly into the database, but that only works for schemes not currently in use and I have no idea if it works in any version above Jira 3.3

dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

@Nic and @Daniel

Thank you both.

0 votes
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

Hey there,

Ahh, I might've missed that... it seems that the contexts apply only on a per-project basis... ):
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41699/can-a-custom-field-select-list-have-different-options-based-on-the-issue-type-screen-it-is-used-for

Sorry that my solution didn't help. I think the only viable workaround is to have different custom fields for different value sets.