JIRA - Crowd integration: unable to re-order user directories

FredB July 12, 2016

Hi team,

I am trying to integrate Crowd to JIRA. The basic Crowd remote test connection has been validated.
The next step is, I guess, to work on the User directory order and have the Crowd server entry sitting above the JIRA internal directory.

This is where my problem is: I am unable to complete this re-ordering.
My login profile is part of the atlassian-admins group.
Yet, when I try to move Crowd Server above JIRA internal directory, I get the following error message: You cannot move the directory without losing your system admin privileges.
Note that the following message can be seen next to the JIRA internal directory section: You cannot edit this directory because you are logged in through it, please log in as a locally authenticating user to edit it.

I am not too sure of the "log in as a locally authenticating user" meaning.

Any technical help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers, Fred

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2016

I suspect what you've got is a duplicate user:

UserDirectoryPermissions
fbaudinternalgroups including jira-admin
fbaudcrowdgroups NOT including jira-admin

JIRA can only authenticate against the first account it finds, so when you log in now, fbaud takes on admin rights.  If you swap the directories, you'll be trying to login fbaud without admin rights.  So it won't let you do it.

Your options are to login as another admin user who only has an entry in the internal directory, or make fbaud in Crowd an administrator as well.

FredB July 12, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Many many thanks for such a prompt reply. I will test your first option first thing tomorrow and get back to you.

Cheers, Fred

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2016

The most clear thing to do is to make sure that your userid in all user directories is a member of whatever group your local JIRA is using for system administrator permissions.

Frederic Baud July 29, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], @Matt Doar [ServiceRocket],

Once again, Thank you for your technical help and feedback. All is good now.

Cheers, Fred

Suggest an answer