JIRA: Creating an Issue from Email setup

Jennifer Schuch November 3, 2013

I've been working thru the setup to create new Jira issues for failed builds (Jenkins) from email messages using a gmail account. Most all is working based on the documentation, except the removal of processed emails from the gmail account. When I test the connectivity, all is a success, the test even states that it will remove the email but it does not. I've parsed the atlassian-jira.log and atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log but I see no errors. Any ideas on what i'm missing? Or where I need to look for error output?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2013

This is probably happening because your GMail account is set to not detele the messages. Check in the Gmail settings as if the setting is to keep the mails, JIRA will just read them, mark as read and left in the mailbox.

0 votes
praveenlakshmanan October 23, 2014

@Jennifer Schuch @J. Caldwell Pedro Corá 

Can we integrate this process to Jenkins, after create the issue from email setup in JIRA?

0 votes
Jennifer Schuch November 3, 2013

I found the issue. Gmail settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > POP download #2 marks as delete Gmail's copy.

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2013

Did you turn up logging in your system? It's under Administration -> System -> Logging and Profiling. See if you turn up the logging level for email functionality and see what it says after you do that.

Also...gmail is sometime tricky about accounts and what they can do. How did you set up access to the account?

Suggest an answer