[JIRA] Crashed machine -- how to restore

Jonathan Beatty March 13, 2013

I've got a disaster on my hands. A company I just recently began work for has an old JIRA 4.0.1 install running on an old box -- that box's hard drive just crashed on us.

I installed JIRA 5.2.8 with MySQL (old installation also used MySQL) but now I don't know how to import the old data. I doubt the last admin did whatever intelligent backup / export process was required to make this simple, plus the huge version jump.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
ChangJoon Lee
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

If I were you, I would install 4.0.1 and restore your old data on it first.

Then, upgrade to the latest version.

I don't think they support restoring from old version especially major version number difference.

:)

Jonathan Beatty March 13, 2013

I was hoping I wouldn't get this answer, unfortunately. I'll give it another day to see if anyone else has any suggestions, then I'll uninstall and reinstall 4.0.1.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2013

Eek! Totally agree with that - get a backup before touching anything, and then download a copy of Jira 4.0.1 and get that working with the data first. Jumping versions at this point is a potential disaster, especially if the database has been damaged in any way, as it'll make data repair a LOT harder.

In theory, you should be able to take a 4.0.1 install and point it at the database (after a backup is taken!) and it will sort of work straight away. As soon as you get in, you'll see all sorts of horrid errors, but you should get a dashboard and a menu. Don't worry - the errors are likely to be down to the fact I've just told you to create a Jira without indexing - nip into administration and re-index it. Then run the integrity checker, and finally, plough through ALL the logs for any errors. If you had plugins in the old one, then I'd try to install them before you do any of this...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2013

If the database is unharmed, then in theory, a 5.1 install will simply upgrade it.

But I'm doing that at the moment for a large site (specifically 4.0.2 straight to 5.1.8), and we've run into problems with users, greenhopper mangling fields and a whole host of "custom code"/"plugin works differently" issues (sadly, stepping through intermediate versions has done nothing to help with any of the problems, the upgrade steps are at least conisistent in their brokenness). I wouldn't have even thought about starting it from a potentially broken database as well!

ChangJoon Lee
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

Suggest an answer