JIRA/Confluence upgrade fee

Mike Hua November 20, 2015

Currently we are planning to purchase JIRA server version. As I can see, that is a one-time-off fee.

But in future, when JIRA has newer versions, (e.g. JIRA 8.0, 9.0, ...), do we need to pay an additional fee if we want to do the upgrade. Is there any reference page where I can get the idea about how much I may need to pay for such an upgrade?

Same question about Confluence.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2015

You don't pay for upgrades.

The licence you have is for any version released up until the expiry date.

Let's say you currently have 6.3 of JIRA and your licence expires tomorrow (22/11/2015).  Let's also say Atlassian is going to release 7.1 on Christmas day. 

Even though your licence expires tomorrow, you could upgrade to 7.0.2 today (it's the latest version as of today) or you could leave it until Christmas and still jump to 7.0.2 even though your licence is expired.  But you will not be able to upgrade to 7.1 because your licence ended before it was released.

Note also that you can still use the Core software with an expired licence - it's your data and your system, they won't screw you over just for ending the licence, unlike a lot of other vendors.  You'll get a warning that you are not supported or maintained, but it'll still work.

A licence is for a year, but you can renew (At a lower cost than a new licence)

See https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-software/ for the full details.

Mike Hua November 22, 2015

Hi Nic, Thanks a lot for your answer. But I'm a little confused when you talk about expiration. As I check the price on the web site, it says that for "Host on your server" format, it's a *one-time payment*. So I understand the licence should never expire, right? So I would like to double confirm, in such a case, do I need to pay to upgrade JIRA version on my own server? Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2015

The bit in the middle of my answer - you can still *use* the Core software with an expired licence. But you are not supported and you can't upgrade to versions released after expiry. What you need to pay depends on what licence you have and when it expires. If it has not expired, the upgrades are available. If it has expired, you will need to renew to get the upgrades. If it expired a long time ago, back-dated renewals become more expensive than a new licence, so it's cheaper to buy a new licence.

Suggest an answer