JIRA, Confluence? What Atlassian technology for a website from a scratch?

Michal Szklarzewski June 29, 2013

I'm new to Atlassian products but from what I've seen the tools can be useful for the project I'm starting to manage. Company, I've just started to work in would like to run an online portal for our internals and cooperating externals. Goal is to build a marketplace platform for projects and talents. I’m not sure if I’ll manage to explain desired product, it’s little bit similar to web places like elance.com or guru.com, where freelancers meet work opportunities and business meet freelance.

I would need a functionality described here (below main bullets I’ll try to give a company example)

1.Register and account without being created by administrators.

a.New project manager needs to run a new project.

2.Build and manage the user profile (overview, tagged skills – choosing, without possibility of creating new ones, portfolio, location, contact information …)

a.Project managers builds his profile, as well as developer, business analysts or external freelancer does.

b.Project manager runs a new project, located in the desired category and subcategory if needed. Project name, description, specific skills, work arrangement (fixed price, time & material), location, privacy and other options are required to fulfill.

3.Project manager has a budget but he has no internal to deliver it on time. He needs to find one or more freelancers to complete a team.

a.Project manager has no budget but he has his team completed. He runs a another type (i.e. non-commercial one) and picks specific users to his project without any contest.

b.Project site is ready, desired team is ready. PM must have tools to manage the project (tasks, % of progress, bug tracking, team calendar, cost list etc)

4.When the job is done, money should be paid. Escrow?

5.Ratings contractors.

6.External contractor is looking for a job. He’s an experienced it tester. He finds an interesting project located i.e. in IT & Programming -> QA & Testing subcategory.

7.Hourly rate is ok for him so he submits a proposal.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michal Szklarzewski June 29, 2013

Main quetion is, what Atlassian product(s?) should we use to run this "business-freelance marketplace" platform most efficiently? JIRA + GreenHopper , Confluence + TeamCalendar or maybe something else?

1 vote
Josch Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

if you just post the informaiton and people use forms or email to work through the processes manually - go ahead. Otherwise : Neither, of you wish to run a database of jobs and opportunities. Use the wiki for project documentation and paperwork; use jira for issue-, feature-, release- and maybe even requirementsmanagement. MAYBE use confluence for social network profiles like "I have following skills ...", but other systems like Jive SBS or maybe even Alfresco are better suited for this, I think.

Thinking of it - developing a marketplace with billing and business workflows in the backend - try for alfresco - or use an existing solution. Unless this is your corebusiness - why invent something that you can probably rent someplace else already.

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

Watch out for the :

Register and account without being created by administrators.

Factor..

This can go an become extremely expensive in licensing, as (almost) all plugins piggybag on the atlassian licensing model, so each new user becomes expensive to put on.

0 votes
khuman beldar January 19, 2020

This is great discussion going on for freelance job and project, There are many freelance marketplace online who providing strong security of fund at both side client and developer, recently i am searching for strong escrow process website found phpworkplace 

Seems, word is going on freelance work process where employee enjoy the home environment and they can work from anywhere from world, 

From client side, they need to pay just for skills required, like example " Hire wordpress freelance & plugin developer "  

over all things are going well but security awareness also need to increase.

thank you

Suggest an answer