JIRA/Confluence Server to Cloud Migration - Changing User Directory from AD Connector to Internal

jguidali July 14, 2017

I need to migrate JIRA/Confluence Server to Cloud.  All users are currently in a Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups) User Directory. 

As I understand, Atlassian Cloud does not support AD.  How do I migrate the users to a different user directory type (internal?) in preparation for the migration while maintaining all of their histories, links, etc.?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hi there,

I wanted to share some updates since this question was originally posted. 

Migrating users between directories

As outlined in our migration planning guide, if you're using any external user directories like LDAP or AD on your Jira Server instance, those users won't be imported during your migration. You'll need to either migrate those users to the internal Jira user directory before migrating or create the user accounts after the import is completed. This applies even if your users are stored in Atlassian Crowd. 

Integrating cloud products with AD

To integrate Atlassian's cloud products with Active Directory, you can connect your on-premises Active Directory to a supported identity provider, like Azure AD, Okta, or OneLogin. This connection will sync your users' account details between your identity provider and Atlassian Cloud products. From there, the user can log in with the same details for both.

Note that this does require a subscription to Atlassian Access.

Migrating Confluence

Importantly, we don't recommend using space or site import/export (also known as site or space backup and restore) to move from Confluence Server to cloud. We've made it even easier and more reliable with the Cloud Migration Assistant for Confluence.

If you're migrating both Jira and Confluence, we recommend migrating Jira first. Migrating Confluence before Jira will result in your users being wiped from cloud once Jira is imported. Learn more about migrating Jira from server to cloud. After migrating Jira along with your users, you can use the Cloud Migration Assistant for Confluence to migrate your Confluence spaces from Confluence Server to Confluence Cloud.

Additional resources

You can find all the information you need to plan, conduct, and optimize your migration at:

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with additional questions. 

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

Your case is complex and will require help from Cloud support. Rather than importing the users as part of an XML backup it looks like you will need to follow: Import users and groups

Before taking the trouble of generating the CSV file, pleaase check with Cloud support to see if you are included in "A small percentage of Atlassian Cloud sites can no longer import users and groups. In the future, we'll no longer support this ability for all Atlassian Cloud sites." 

Since you have Confluence and JIRA both you will have to import your Confluence instance one space at a time, per Migrate from Confluence Server to Cloud:

"Site import is only available for Confluence-only instances. If you have multiple applications, such as Confluence and JIRA, you'll need to export and import spaces individually."

Please open a ticket with Atlassian Cloud support at: https://getsupport.atlassian.com to get the best guidance for your scenario.

Suggest an answer