JIRA - Confluence Page Gadget Not Working for Some Users

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

We currently have a dashboard that is using the JIRA Dashboard Confluence Page Gadget. However, some users are unable to see the gadget and receive the following message, this includes myself. I have verified that the users do have access to the Confluence Page that the gadget is pointing to, the users are also able to access the page when navigating to it in Confluence. It works for most users for this team except for one. Any ideas on why this isnt working? Our application links show that its functioning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

image-2018-02-06-09-11-47-767.png

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

The image you uploaded appears to be broken to me, but maybe I can ask a couple of questions that can help point you in the right direction.

• Are there any macros on the page? I know that there are some macros that don't work in this gadget (list here).
  • Can you get other pages from Confluence to display in the Confluence Page Gadget (i.e. is it a problem for all pages or just some)?
  • Is the problem happening in multiple browsers?

Hope this helps a little at least!

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

Thanks for the response Alex. Sorry about the image not appearing correctly it basically displays HTTP Status 401 - Unauthorized.

1. I don't see any other macros on the dashboard that would be causing the issue.

2. Thats the tricky part I can't even attempt to get a new page as I get the 401 error as soon as I start typing a page name.

3. It is happening across all browsers for that one users. All the other users on this persons team are able to see the board in all browsers, including myself when I run scriptrunner as a user who can see the gadget.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

Hmm. It's really weird that it's only one user, especially that you can recreate this when logging in as them.

Do your Jira and Confluence instances share a user database, or are the user databases completely separate from one another?

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Believe they do as all of our users are managed via Crowd.

Do you think it has anything to do with the Application Link - We currently have it as OAuth. Still doesn't make sense that its that user though and not the rest of that users team.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Yeah, if this works for most users and this error only appears for some, I don't think there's anything wrong with the application link itself.

I've exhausted my knowledge of what might be happening here. :( I can't find any existing bug reports like this, either. 

Have you tried opening a support ticket with Atlassian on this?

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

No I figured I would try here first then if not I would open a support request. Thank you for the help Alex.

Sagar Amlani February 14, 2018

We are having the same problem with our instances after a recent JIRA upgrade. This is affecting all users internally and externally who use our JIRA dashboards. We have reported this to our internally support team who manage JIRA, but it has recurred after a previous fix they believe they put in place.

Suggest an answer