JIRA & Confluence Email notification from wrong sender

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2014

We are occasionally seeing emails with the wrong user in the From field.  For example, Sarah adds a comment to an issue.  Michael gets an email to notify him that the comment was added.  The From field is:

But in the text of the email itself it correctly attributes the comment to Sarah.

We are seeing this in both JIRA and Confluence.

Any advice appreciated.

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

Turns out to have been an outlook/exchange problem.  Haven't solved it there.  But we submitted our logs to Atlassian and there's not source switch whatsoever in the logs.  Our customers found that the attributed person was involved in an issue a few emails previous to the one that was mis-attributed. If that makes any sense.

Krishen Greenwell February 18, 2016

Exactly what I'm seeing here.  We're using JIRA 6.3.15 and I'm not sure how to tell what version of Exchange/Outlook is being used.  My email client is Outlook 14.6.0 (151221) for Mac (Office 2011).

1 vote
Vibin Kundukulam October 4, 2016

Any updates on a resolution to this? Incredibly frustrating for our team!

0 votes
Kai Schmidt March 24, 2020

I noticed this on mobile for me, the issue was somehow the emails from Jira got associated with a different contact from my address book. The user in the from field was likely mentioned in a ticket and iOS automatically associated the name with the contact. I was able to manually edit the info in my contacts. 

0 votes
Ian Godfrey December 12, 2019

In our system, the emails purport to coming from the page creator, not the person who made the comment. Very annoying, especially if the person has left the company.

0 votes
Julia Wester February 26, 2015

we are having this problem as well in Confluence - it started this week. exactly as Daniel described but i hadn't gotten as far as narrowing it to Outlook. Problem - we all use Outlook smile

0 votes
Daniel Samuels February 23, 2015

Im also seeing this problem - has anyone worked it out yet? 

I did some quick testing in different email clients and found this problem is only seen in Outlook. My tests in Gmail showed all the same emails that were wrong in Outlook showing the correct From person in Gmail. 

Our problem:

Notification emails are listing the wrong person making the changes.

User A makes a change to a page, it sends out an email to User B to alert them of that change, the FROM email address incorrectly says that User C made a change to the page, but in the body of the email and the email subject it correctly shows that it was User A making the changes.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 votes
Balakumar PG December 3, 2014

We are also facing the same problem... it is annoying ti see the notification from other user and not the one who actually acted.

0 votes
jcoughlin October 30, 2014

Been seeing the exact same thing. One thing I've noticed is that it happen when receiving two notifications from JIRA at the same time. The first message will be correct, but the second will display as having been sent by the user that created the incident that resulted in a notification for the first.

0 votes
Reinier Boon October 16, 2014

We are experiencing the exact same problem

0 votes
Anna Cardino
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2014

Hi, 

It seems to be related to this bug report: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-40192. Kindly share your thoughts on the ticket itself and add it on your watch list. 

Monique

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2014

Not the same problem. That ticket is talking about using the mail server's address. Not some completely different and valid JIRA user.

Daniel Samuels February 23, 2015

Hi Monique, I dont think this is the same problem. My problem is more in line with what is described here than on the JRA-40192. JRA-40192 seems to be that the email is sent from the mail server instead of from the users email. The problem we are describing is about the completely wrong user being listed in the from address for notification emails.

Suggest an answer