JIRA/Confluence - Directory Ownership

Trevor Hunt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2013

I'm running JIRA/Confluence on linux. After the first reboot, jira was throwing plugin errors through the browser. I did some research and found a possible solution which entailed running the following in each /var and /opt:

sudo chown -R jira atlassian/

What should the default directory ownership be for JIRA and Confluence? I originally installed both using sudo.

I ran the following commands in both /var and /opt to try to fix it:

sudo chown -R root:root atlassian

But I'm still having issues. Help is appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trevor Hunt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2013

Re-install. That fixed it. :)

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Which user is running the process? That user should have read/write permissions in JIRA Installation and Home directories.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Only if you created them during the install. There is no default user but it is recommended to create users like "jira" and "confluence" and run the process as those users.

Trevor Hunt
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Which user should be running the process(es) by default? Doesn't user jira and user confluence run each respectively?

Suggest an answer