JIRA/Confluence 2-way integration

Adam June 6, 2017

We'd like to streamline our process for writing user stories for fixed-price/scope projects. Let me explain how we are doing it:

1. At the outset of the project we can list out all the user stories, at this stage we will have a title, some high-level information and an estimate in story points.
  2. Add the stories and estimates to JIRA. I know we can add them to confluence and export to JIRA (at least the title and description, if not the estimate).
  3. During the project we will tie down each story in discussion with the client. We use Confluence to do this.
  4. Once the story is well-defined we want to get this information into JIRA.

So:

• Is there a way to re-export data from Confluence to existing JIRA issues?
  • Is it possible to export the estimates somehow?
  • What about full integration so updates to JIRA are reflected in Confluence or vice-versa?
  • Or any other suggestions on how we can acheive this?

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

The easiest way is to use the JIRA macro in Confluence.

The typical way to handle this is to create the JIRA stories from your Confluence requirements page, as you mentioned. At this point, I remove the table and replace it with the JIRA macro using a JQL search to display the relevant stories. You can customize the macro to show any field, such as the estimates that you mentioned.

This doesn't provide the Confluence-JIRA update that you were asking for, but it puts your JIRA stories one click away for easy update inside Confluence.

Any update in JIRA will be reflected in the Confluence JIRA Macro.

Adam June 7, 2017

Thanks for your answer Sebastien.

Unfortunatley this doesn't quite work for us, because you cannot comment on the issues in the JIRA macro in Confluence. The idea of having the issues in Confluence is to be able to hold a discussion with the client in order to finalise the acceptance criteria.

Suggest an answer