JIRA Configuration Tool does not run

Blommetje August 13, 2012

I have several issues with my JIRA config at the moment. I want to move from a hsql local DB to an external Mysql DB and I want to upgrade to the latest version and I want Greenhopper installed.

To get Greenhopper, I need the Universal Plugin Manager, which I do not have (can't find?). To get the UPM I need to do this (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/20846/can-t-find-universal-plugin-manager-after-upgrade-to-4-4 ). It might be easier to move to the new DB before doing this, I thought

To move the DB I need to run config.bat to get the Jira configuration tool running, which does not run. I get "No JRE_home or JAVA_HOME environment variable is set." I have no clue what this means...

And I cannot move my DB without (sure, there are other ways, but for me...)

So in a nutshell:

How do I get config.bat running?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

Hi Maarten,

It does indeed seem that there is some confusion here because you should be able to run SQL commands on your database by following the instructions in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+SQL+commands+in+a+HSQL+database

However, to migrate your database you will need to export the data in XML format, attach a new database and then import the data again. You can do this by following the steps outlined below:

1. Backup your JIRA Home Directory.
  2. Generate an XML backup of your data
  3. Delete the dbconfig.xml file in your JIRA Home Directory.
  4. Restart JIRA and you should see the first step of the JIRA Setup Wizard for configuring your database connection.
  5. Configure JIRA's connection to your new database in the JIRA Setup Wizard and click the 'Next' button.
  6. On the 'Application Properties' setup page, click the 'import your existing data' link and restore your data

Hopefully these answers should get you moving towartds getting your Database migrated and Greenhopper installed, although I'm not sure why you are unable to launch the JIRA Configuration Tool but the procedure above will allow you to do what you are trying to achieve.

All the best,
John

Blommetje August 15, 2012

Got it working! Thnx! (Importing data failed once, so had do a little more work though...) But all is fine now!

Suggest an answer