JIRA Comment Notification Not Sent for New Watchers

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2015

I want to verify if the following behavior I'm experiencing is expected.

My notification scheme is configured such that for the Issue Commented event the following are notified:

• Current Assignee
  • Reporter
  • All Watchers

A user who is not the reporter, assignee, or a watcher adds a comment to an issue. This user is now added to the watchers list. An email notification is generated and sent out. However, the user that just entered this new comment does not receive the notification, even though he/she was added to the watchers list.

My guess as to why this is happening is the notification of the Issue Commented event gets generated before the user is added to the Watchers list.

I'm curious if this is the expected functionality and if anyone can provide insight as to what is going on.

Thank you.

-- Stephen

4 answers

0 votes
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2015

After opening a support request, we determined this is a bug - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-45009

0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2015

Hello Stephan,
If you run the Notification Helper, do you receive any additional hint ? Is the log files showing any related error ? 

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

Hi Paulo,

No errors are indicated in any logs files. Unfortunately the Notification Helper does not provide much input due to the use case. Since the user is not associated with the ticket prior to entering a comment, it makes sense that no notification is available. However, when the user becomes a watcher by adding a comment this changes things such that a notification should be sent out - but it's not. All subsequent notifications are sent out though.

-- Stephen

0 votes
Rahul K August 20, 2015

As @Gabrielle Bautista [ACP-JA] said, check if the Notify me for my changes = No. Make it 'Yes' and then try.

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

Hi Rahu, Per your and Gabrille's suggestion I had the user verify the Notify me setting and it is indeed set to yes, and has always been set to yes. So this is not the issue. Any other thoughts you might have would be great. Thank you. -- Stephen

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2015

Ask that certain user if he th eprofile configuration "Notify me for my changes = No" and the "auto watch" feature. Have you validated if he was added as a watcher to the issue? This maybe the case and the 2 steps I have above will fix it.

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2015

Hi Gabrielle, I verified that yes the user was added to the watchers list after the comment was added. The user does receive notifications for all subsequent events on this issue. This behavior is not isolated to to this one user, but happens to all others as well. -- Stephen

Suggest an answer