JIRA Cloud vs JIRA Server Administration Differences

Ricky Lin October 25, 2017

I've thoroughly reviewed this article and want to get a perspective from the real world scenario.  My background is JIRA Server Administrator with about 2 1/2 years of experience and want to know what are the things I need to be aware of if I were to become a JIRA Cloud Administrator (in both Software & Confluence)?

Basically, what are some of the qualities that you'd expect from a JIRA Cloud Administration that a JIRA Server Administrator won't have?  How would my day-to-day be immediately impacted by the transition if I were to administer Cloud?

My assumption is that there should be less administrative work as Atlassian will be hosting your instance and you will have to work with Atlassian support for help (as you would for Office 365).

Would appreciate any insights anyone may offer...

Cheers

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2017

Hi Ricky,

That article you reviewed covers it pretty well. Any Server Administration functions of course will be restricted for you. Many customizations aren't possible. There are fewer add-ons available for Cloud than Server. In addition, you'll want to have a very close look at the Restricted Functions pages listed in the article (including the specifics at the bottom of that page for Confluence and Jira). 

There are some new features in Jira Cloud and Confluence Cloud that Server doesn't have, since they're two different platforms. In addition, both have the New Look that we've begun applying to instances this year.

My recommendation would be to get the trial instance, and use it to see if it will work for you.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Ricky Lin December 21, 2017

Thank you for the reply Shannon!  This definitely helped me out :)

Additional questions:

1. Tthere isn't a direct coorelation between JIRA Server and Cloud versions, right?
  2. For example, a JIRA Server 7.6.2 version wouldn't necessarily equal to a specific JIRA Cloud version, right?
  3. Is there a way to find a list of historical list of JIRA Cloud versions?  I know where to find it in my current instance, but unsure how to find a Version History for it
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

Hi Ricky,

That's correct. Originally they used to correlate, but we have split the two now and they're developed separately.

They are no longer versioned, but you can compare to our Release Blogs.

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Bhanu likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2019

Thanks @Shannon S! This is fantastic!  We have been testing a Server to Cloud migration over the past few weeks and are about to pull the trigger on the official move.  I'm watching the Release Blogs page now so that I will be able to react to changes easier.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 29, 2019

Glad to hear, @Jimmy Seddon!

I'm not sure if you saw it already, but we have a Cloud Migration Tool now to help with that. If you have any trouble, just reach out to my colleagues in Cloud Support if you have not already.

Take care,

Shannon

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this

Suggest an answer