JIRA Cloud - Show Parent and subtasks together

Cody Reeves July 7, 2015
Our shop just started using your tools and I have a BIG obstacle in front of me.

We set up our workflow to use sub-tasks and we need the ability to view first each parent task, followed by all of it's sub-tasks across a given project. All I find are options for the sever with plugins. I've tried to use JQL but I've been unsuccessful. Other users have reported this same business need for years so I'm sure there is a way to do this. Hope so!

Thanks,
Cody

2 answers

1 vote
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2015

Hi, Cody.

I'm afraid this isn't an embedded function in JIRA to do that and I don't know of a plugin that does that either.

I'm not sure why you want to do that, but I can think of some alternatives, if you need to search for issues and see their related subtasks:

1. Search for parents only and open the parent issues individually in a different tab in the browser. In the parent issue, there's a list of all it's subtasks (that is, use JQL search for parents and issue view for sub-tasks)
  2. Same thing, but you can use a JQL search only for sub-tasks for specific parents, because JQL allows you to search for sub-task of a specific parent using this:
parent in (ABC-1, ABC-2, ABC-3)

I know that's now exactly what you requested, but may be an alternative you'd like to try, depending on your needs.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2015

Plain JIRA can't do it without addons.  Still.

The easiest workaround for Cloud is "use Agile" - the boards will display subtasks grouped by their parents if configured to show both.

Suggest an answer