JIRA Cloud: Can portal-only customers be approvers?

Rosa M Fossi September 12, 2017

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find a way to configure this...  I thought I would be able to setup our Portal Customers as approvers. 

Scenario: the workflow process includes "Client Verification" Status. That status is an Approved/Declined step which can only be verified by Levi Owens, one of our Portal-Only Customers.  Button to approve or decline should be available on the portal ticket.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

1 answer

2 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2017

Hi Rosa,

He should be able to approve the requests as a portal-only customer.

One thing I would ask is can you make sure that he is listed as a customer in the project? You can check this by going to:

https://<your-instance>.atlassian.net/projects/KEY/customers

And search for the user there. KEY would be replaced by the project key in question.

I do have access to your Cloud instance, so once you verify that if you still have issues can you let me know the following:

1. The project KEY in question.
  2. The name of the workflow that contains the approval

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Rosa M Fossi September 13, 2017

He is listed... but is under one of the "organizations". Does that matter?

KEY = CS

workflowClient Support and Bug MAIN workflow

(FYI- this isn't quite live for our clients yet, so the workflow is actually being tested in the "UAT Pending" status.  I recently made some changes to it while trying to track this down... not sure where I left it at.)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2017

Hi Rosa,

At the moment, the UAT Pending status doesn't have approvals configured.

Could you go ahead and update that and once you're finished I can have a look and see what might be happening?

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the portal-only user you want to be the approver is in a different organisation to the user that created the ticket. This means they would not be able to see the ticket (and certainly not approve it) depending on the setting in this screenshot:customer_sharing_settings.png

Shannon

Rosa M Fossi September 14, 2017

Thank you Shannon.  We had to make some adjustments yesterday afternoon and the Levi account (our in-house portal-only test account) had to be moved around for training folks in that Org. Additionally, our pilot working on Dev wanted the approvals removed from UAT late yesterday. I should've updated this ticket.
In regards to orgs, we absolutely, at no point, can allow different orgs to see each other's tickets.  But thank you for the information above.

I'm going to configure the CV Pending status for approvals. Can you take a peek there?  I'm using a custom field called "Client Approvers"

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 15, 2017

Thanks, Rosa!

So the next step in setting up approvals is adding a user picker to the request form. I went to see which one of your request types is set up with the uesr picker, but I don't see one. Can you let me know which request type you're trying to add the user picker to?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Rosa M Fossi September 15, 2017

It would be for both Support and Bug types. 

Rosa M Fossi September 15, 2017

I've followed the from the article you linked. So far so good.  I was able to take a ticket to "CV Pending" status and have it show the "approve / decline" buttons on the portal for our in-house portal-only customer Levi Owen; however, within the form itself I am forced to pick an Approver since the field is hidden. BugForm-HiddenValue.jpg

Is there any way around this? Not all bugs require Client Verification step :( 
If not, is there a way to make the default value the "reporter"?

Thanks again for your assistance!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2017

Hi Rosa,

Currently it is not possible to set the approver to be the reporter in cases like this.  There is an open feature request for this in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-3729

If that field remains hidden, you need to select a preset value here or else the entire workflow will get stuck at this point.   If you don't want to define a set of users to handle approvals for this workflow, then you would need to display that field on the screen and then make sure that Service Desk Customers can see that field on the screen so they can select a value here.

Alternatively, it might be possible to use the Auto-Approve feature to setup a rule that automatically approves certain kinds of requests, but not others.

Rosa M Fossi September 25, 2017

Thank you for the additional insight Andrew.

Suggest an answer