JIRA Classic gone: each new project creates new workflow and issue type scheme, is there a way to stop it?

Jennifer Frickell September 22, 2014

We create hundreds of projects a year within OnDemand. With JIRA Classic gone, every time we create a new project a new workflow and issue type scheme is created, which we nearly always change to a standardized workflow and issue type scheme.

There are now all of these orphaned workflows and issue type schemes that we never use and have to manually delete to clean up.

Is there a way to stop the automatic duplication behavior?

Thank you.

10 answers

5 votes
Solin Phann October 1, 2014

Let's be short: BRING BACK JIRA CLASSIC!

TIA!

Arun Rao October 1, 2014

I agree.

5 votes
Gareth Blain September 23, 2014

I agree with the above comment. This is a badly thought out change and it took me as mentioned about 5 mins per new project to "Fix" the damage it creates. >:-(
Anyway I thought I would comment for future users as while trying other methods to fix this issue (until they put it back as an option) I discovered that if you right click on the new project link (to force it to open in a new window/tab rather than a JS & AJAX popup it opens a basic screen with no option to select schema types etc and when saved the final project uses the default schema. If this isn't the one you want it's still a LOT easier to then change it to what ever schema you want without the need to go deleting all the extra unique ones created with the new "default" method. smile
Hope this helps!

Paul Clegg September 24, 2014

I can't seem to do this on our onDemand it just reopens the Dashboard or current page that I'm on. Is there a specific page you're looking at?

Gareth Blain September 24, 2014

I have clicked on the settings cog icon (from an admin account) and then in the "JIRA ADMINISTRATOR" drop-down that appears I have clicked the "Projects" link. On the new page (which should list your projects) I then have a [+ Add Project] button towards the top right. The link that that button has is something like "[domain.com]/secure/admin/AddProject!default.jspa?....". For me right clicking on it the link in Firefox and Chrome and select "Open in a new Tab/window" and it will open a new page that asks you for the new project's: "Name", "Key" & "Project Leader" with an option to import at the bottom and [Add] button & "Cancel" link below that. I believe if you just create a valid URL using your domain and the above URL minus the domain bit and "..." at the end it will go to the correct page. :)

Paul Clegg September 25, 2014

Awesome, cheers for that! I can confirm it works with [domain.com]/secure/admin/AddProject!default.jspa

5 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2014

Hi all,

We are aware of this problem and we have already created a suggestion report for the dev team (JRA-39966). Please feel free to add your comments and vote for it to make it more noticeable to our developers. Also refer to Implementation of New Feature Policy for more information on Atlassian's approach to the development of these improvements.

Please let us know if we can help you any further.

Cheers!

3 votes
overdrive64 September 22, 2014

I agree. The new behavior is weird.

2 votes
Solin Phann October 3, 2014

Thank you to the JIRA team for bringing back JIRA Classic smile

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2014

I agree. Not sure why this behavior, which IMHO is a bad practice, is enforced.

1 vote
Sandra Axelsdóttir [Tempo] October 2, 2014

I agree!  it's fatal not to have JIRA Classic anymore.

1 vote
Shahram_Monshipouri October 1, 2014

I agree, JIRA Classic was so useful.

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

And now...it's gone again in Cloud?

SeanM April 7, 2015

Yup. Seems it is. I know it was there a few days ago. They must have just removed it.

SeanM April 7, 2015

I just checked the What's New site (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/What's+New) for the last few weeks and didn't see any mention of changes to the create project functionality. Hopefully one of the types they do provide will be as clean as "Classic" was. Frankly, I'm not bothering to check because I just don't want to have to waste time cleaning up all the totally unnecessary workflows and etc that they're likely to create. You know, exactly the same problem they created for us last time they removed the "Classic" option. *You'd think they'd learn.*

0 votes
SeanM October 3, 2014

I created a project this morning, bemoaning once again the loss of JIRA Classic and the extra work that causes for me.

I created a project this afternoon and, blinking twice in disbelief, see JIRA Classic is back!  Well done!

Suggest an answer