JIRA- Chrome 58 - SSL Security missing_subjectAltName

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2017

With the update of Chrome to version 58 I am now getting a certification error when accessing JIRA. I allow the certificate to pass as an exception and then I get the following view on my dashboard. Our certificate is up to date and not set to expire until next year.

jiraerrormessage.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Justin Galimore May 20, 2017

Confirmed, regenerating cert with -ext modifier and specifying either an IP or DNS name resolves the issue.  For example if adding DNS: 

keytool.exe -genkeypair -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -keystore "C:\YourDirectory\YourKeystore.keystore" -alias YourAlias -ext SAN=dns:yourdns.yoursite.com

0 votes
Justin Galimore May 18, 2017

I'm having the same issue, just noticed it yesterday for the first time.  Chrome returns a privacy error: NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID.

This server could not prove that it is *domain here*; its security certificate is from [missing_subjectAltName]...This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

I'm running a self-signed cert with valid dates and I have the cert added to my trusted rooted cert authorities.  Never had any issues until yesterday.  

I'm too tired to troubleshoot this at the moment but I found this link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8744607/how-to-add-subject-alernative-name-to-ssl-certs

Looks like i'll need to recreate my self-signed cert with a subject alt name to make Chrome happy.  I should also mention this isn't causing any functionality problems with my JIRA, just an annoying security warning.  Current Chrome version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit)

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2017

Bryan,

Looks like a add-on is making Chrome unhappy.  Can you get to any pages or does the error happen on every page?  For instance can you get to https://YOURSERVERURL/plugins/servlet/upm  If you can and everything displays you should run in Safemode and see what add-on is causing the issue.  This is done by clicking the "Enter Safe Mode" link at the bottom of the Manage Add-Ons page.  You then check the main jira page to see if the error is gone.  If it is then you can enable each plugin one by one to determine the culprit.  

Good Luck,
Brant

Suggest an answer