JIRA: Changing status of issues as project administrator

Devendra September 10, 2013

A project lead who is also project administrator for a project is asking me (JIRA Administrator) for permission to change status (move issues in greenhopper dashboad) when the issue is assigned to another team member.

The greenhopper board has ToDo, InProgress and Done (has resolve and close status).

I would think that moving from ToDo to InProgress or InProgress to Done when not assigned is kind of security breach. And that is why it cannot be done. Is my reasoning ok? Is there a way to tweak this?

ToDo to Done is allowed because in Permissions Scheme "Issue Permission" has "Resolve Issues" permission allocated to Project Role = Administrators and Team Members. Am I correct?

This is what the person asked me: In my greenhopper boards I seem to be able to move issues from “To Do” to “Done” but I can’t move them from “In Progress” to Done. Only the owner of the issue can do so. Would it be possible to allow me as project owner to do it as we would like to be able to do this dynamically during our weekly review meeting?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013

The workflow is up to you - although Jira ships with default ones, you can change them. The workflows have conditions on them which are controlling who can and can not do things. For example, on the default workflow, the "resolve" transition has one that says "User must have resolve issues permission"

There is some logic in the default design, but it's up to you to decide if the logic is right for you. Basically, I'm telling you to look at your workflow, and probably edit it (and concentrate on conditions in the transitions, as that's what stopping you doing things - you probably want to add "OR user is project lead" or "OR user is in project admin role" to them)

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013

Ah, bother, a condition for "user is project lead" is not part of the core of Jira and you may need to install a plugin to do it. Sorry, I may have mislead you there.

I usually end up with "people with project admin rights can do X", and a permission scheme that includes "project lead has project admin rights", which does it indirectly, but may not be appropriate for your users.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2013

To "close" a question, mark one of the answers as correct - look for the tick to the left of them

0 votes
Devendra September 25, 2013

Closing this Answers...

0 votes
Devendra September 17, 2013

Thanks Nic for lead.

I edited the workflow - for transition in question I added with OR a condition 'Only users in project role Administrator can execute this transition'.

The Permission scheme already has project lead has project admin rights in our case.

This did the job.

0 votes
Devendra September 10, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thanks for point me in the right direction. I do see merit in not someone (lead or admin) resolving issues for someone else...

I checked the transition validator and condition. However did not find "project lead" anywhere for usage. There is permission condition that can select Administrator.

I would have preferred in my scenario to use Project Lead.

Let me see how I go...

many thanks

Suggest an answer