JIRA: Certain projects for certain users.

s February 10, 2013

We're trying to set up JIRA so that we can add a customer to one or two projects but not all projets. It seems that if you add a user or developer then they have access to all projects. This was okay when we had one project but now we have many and we need privacy for our customers.

I've read some documentation but I'm a bit overwhelmed with schemas and roles etc. How do I set this up please?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2013

You've inherited the open-by-default security scheme that ships with Jira.

There's a brief explanation recently at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/133514/how-can-i-grant-a-limited-access-to-my-client-to-one-projet-just-their-project (to get you started though, it's all about "permission schemes" and the user group called "jira users" - don't worry about roles yet, start with those two)

s February 10, 2013

Thanks, good information. I'll have a read of that article.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2013

I break it down into two parts - first, divorcing "can log in" from "can do stuff in projects", secondly you prize apart the projects so that they become independent of each other (using roles really helps with that, even if you put groups in roles, the roles are done by project, rather than by scheme, so it's very flexible) and then, finally, checking over blocks on person/group A seeing stuff in project B

s February 10, 2013
After reading that link I have a couple of questions. What is s limited access account, and single account access?

After reading this through for a while, what this appears to boil down to (and I was worried about this) is that you have to have one role, one client user account. This would be really slow and tedious and would mean adding a new role every time we added a new client. We may only work with one client for one project and then not bother with them again. Is my understanding correct?

Suggest an answer