JIRA CSV Import Question

Adam White June 24, 2013

Hi there,

My company is moving from Bugtracker.NET to JIRA. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the attachments and comments over and I had a few questions.

Right now my plan is to have one of our DB guys do a pull and get all the relevant bugtracker fields into a csv. I'll be mapping the "Bugtracker ID" to a custom field in JIRA, and I'll be creating one big "Bugtracker" project within JIRA.

I've been trying to figure out the comment and attachment situation. Can I do a separate CSV for attachments and a separate CSV for comments? How would I link those to the existing issues in JIRA after the initial import?

Thanks a bunch

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2013

With the newest versions of the Importers pluign, you're able to update existing tickets.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

Search the document for Updating Existing Issues

One potential hurdle here is that you'll need to identify and match each entry with the items that come from Bugtracker.NET. If you migrate the ID number from Bugtracker.NET into a custom field into JIRA, it might be a lot easier to match.

Eithery way, start there to see if that fits the bill.

Adam White July 1, 2013

I think this is the path we're going to take. Thank you!

Adam White July 2, 2013

Another question... in the attachment string for the CSV, when you specify a URL, does JIRA download the attachment and store it on its own or does it strictly use that download url?

For some reason i'm having an issue where the string is formatted properly, but JIRA doesnt seem to download the file. It displays the fact that it is attached, but when you click it, it gives you a broken file.

Does it have to do with the fact that the URL string (for Bugtracker.NET) is the same as JIRA, with the only difference being the port?

so Bugtracker: http://dev:800 and JIRA: http://dev:8080

Adam White July 3, 2013

I also need to know how in the CSV file JIRA will connect to Bugtracker.NET to actually download the files since you need to be authenticated to download it. Any ideas? I think the only answer is to do a mass download of all the files and do the file:// method of attachment imports.

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

Another option is to go directly from the DB to JIRA using JIRA Command Line Interface with runFromSql and some scripting. Or go with CSV for the majority of it and then use the DB and JCLI to add the other stuff that doesn't get handled. Having the Bugtracker ID associated with the issue is the key to doing stuff with the DB and JIRA after the initial import.

0 votes
Adam White July 3, 2013

Another question... in the attachment string for the CSV, when you specify a URL, does JIRA download the attachment and store it on its own or does it strictly use that download url?

For some reason i'm having an issue where the string is formatted properly, but JIRA doesnt seem to download the file. It displays the fact that it is attached, but when you click it, it gives you a broken file.

Suggest an answer