JIRA CLI no response on using --search function

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2012

I'm attempting to get the --search function of the JIRA.BAT CLI to return a list of issues, but it seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time.

I'm using

c:\> jira --action getIssueList --search "project=Engineering and fixversion='6.5.1.3'" and it just hangs.

if I remove the "and fixversion" part, I get an error message indicating that I can't get a result set of more than 1000 results and the current search returns 4994...so it's communicating, authenticating, etc. I looked around here and it seems like I'm doing it correctly, based on what I've read.

Can somebody point me in a different direction?

Thanks!

Updated: this is *dog slow*...but it eventually returned a significant amount of information. More fiddling and I tried to use a filter instead of a search, which helped the speed some. In both cases, I'm still getting a large number of fields, as opposed to the ones which actually show up in the filter itself, so I'm now modifying this question to "how do I specify the fields/columns on the search?"

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2012

If your query returns a large number of issues, it will be slow :(. Using a filter helps as it has batching support (the 1000 upper limit on filter results can be modified in your JIRA instance). Increasing your java client memory will help as well. You will be get the standard fields (for the default outputFormat) no matter what the filter has - the filter is used to determine the issues only.

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2012

Thanks, Bob. I notice that the OutputFormat parameter allows a finer degree of granularity on fields returned, but I can't find any documentation on the field options (and what each returns?) There seems to be a OutputFormat of 200 that gives me a much smaller subset - but I'm not sure where 200 is defined (or documented?)

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2012

There is no documentation on what is returned for each field - you have to see by example. Output formats available are documented in the last column on the table from Documentation - it is minimal at this time. Format 200 was a legacy format that will no longer be provided.

Varun D July 22, 2012
0 votes
Varun D June 27, 2012

Can we retrieve values based on field.If i just need value of particular field.Is it possible using getIssueList?I was trying to retrieve list of KEYS based on a search query.But i havnt find any option for fatching the data only for a particular field.It would be awesome if getIssueList can retun values of some particular fields based on option choosen.

Thanks in advance.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2012

This is more like another question :). Open an improvement request here: JCLI

Varun D July 22, 2012

Here is the link to JCLI-282

Suggest an answer