JIRA/Bitbucket integration and auto-detection of commits

James Tuttle August 29, 2017

We have JIRA/Bitbucket integration working "fine" on out local Server instances.  I can create BB branches directly out of JIRA.  JIRA can detect BB commits and PR's and transistion issues.

However, when I create a branch from JIRA and make commits to that branch in BB, the commits are NOT listed in the JIRA issue's "Development" section, unless I put the issue # in the commit message.

Since JIRA knows the branch, why can't it just show ALL commits on that branch?  Do we have possibly have something mis-configured?  Again, everything else seems to work great, but I'd rather not have to repeat the issue # on every commit made to an issue-specific branch, if JIRA can track those automatically.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2017

That is how it is designed to work. For now, you might not need it but as things get complicated, you would probably enjoy the granularity that comes with it.

For example, there might be commits that are related to an issue but are not in the branch that is tied to the issue. Also, there might be commits that are related to multiple issues and in that case, you will have the option to specify more than one issue ids in the same commit message. And, there might be cases where you do not want a purticular commit to appear on an issue eventhough the branch is tagged to the issue.

I am sure there might be more but those are some scenarios where it makes sense to tie commits to issues instead of just branches to issues.

James Tuttle August 29, 2017

I can see ALL of the great examples you provided (commits on other branches needing to be tagged to this issue, etc.), but I'm not sure I agree that commits to a given branch shouldn't show up in the issue which *started* the branch.

I guess it is a lot of granularity/flexibility that could be useful, but I can't always remember myself to do add the issue # in the commit message, and convincing the rest of the team to do so will be even harder...

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2017

I understand your pain and I have used plugins to enforce it. Yet Another Commit Checker is a free add-on that works fine if you want to enforce a valid JIRA issue key. I have seen a few other add-ons too that does the same I think.

Suggest an answer