JIRA Behind IIS - Slow and Base URL issue

Taylor Huston December 21, 2017

Hello,

I have a JIRA instance behind IIS. I've double checked all of the steps on https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/integrating-jira-applications-with-iis-938847749.html

If I access JIRA form the server itself through localhost it works great.

But if I access it externally through the URL it's incredibly slow and it's failing the Base URL check.

Not sure where else to look to see where the bottleneck might be?

Also, related question, if I wanted to circumvent IIS altogether, what would be involved? I tried stopping IIS and then editing the server.xml file to comment out the

<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" /> 

line, then restarting the JIRA service. When I do that I cannot access JIRA externally at all, so I believe I am missing a step.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2017

The bottleneck is obviously something in IIS

The failure of the base url check means Jira cannot find itself on that base url, so IIS is not proxying the connection properly.  You've missed something in the configuration, or your IIS has non-default settings that are breaking it.

I don't know IIS well enough to tell you where to start, although the logs are probably going to tell you something useful.

To run without IIS, you need to remove the connector you configured, and make sure you have a route from your client machine directly to the server.  You should be able to see an error when you say "I cannot access Jira" - what is that?

Taylor Huston December 22, 2017

I mean the browser just gives me a 'connection timed out' error. I am thinking it is a firewall issue to be honest, something I don't have access to configure at the moment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2017

Ah, ok, it's not slow, you don't get anything.

This implies IIS could be fine, and something else is blocking your access.  As you suspect, a firewall is the most likely thing.

Taylor Huston December 22, 2017

It's slow if IIS is enabled. If IIS is disabled and I am trying to access it through <URL>:8080 it doesn't come up at all.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2017

Sorry, the comment confused me, I thought it was about the direct connection.  Ignore my last comment!

You don't need to disable anything to make the direct connection work, the connector for IIS is in addition to it.

So, there should be a fully functional interface on http://<host>:8080  When you're on the server itself, localhost is the host.

But as you get a connection time out error when connecting from a remote machine, that tells us something is blocking that on your network, or possibly a firewall on the server.

The other route to your Jira goes through IIS and sounds painfully slow.

I would definitely want to check how responsive the direct connection is, but as localhost is fast, I strongly suspect that connection will be fast too.  If it's not, it tells us there's a network problem, rather than IIS.  If it is fast, then it's definitely a problem with IIS.  At that point, I'm afraid I'm stuck - I only know enough IIS to get Atlassian stuff using it as a proxy, I don't know how to debug it being slow.

Suggest an answer