JIRA Automation - Set Original Estimate

Hana Kovalcikova May 26, 2015

Hello,

is it possible to set a original estimate with JIRA Automation?

I'm using Issue Event Trigger (creation) and Edit Issue Action with the following expression to set 8 hours:
originalEstimate=28800

But it's not working...No error appears in Audit log.

What should I put to Edit issue action?

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote
Consulente Atlassian July 30, 2019

hi @Tomas Myska [Onlio APS] I have a similar need but I would like to make sure that a story point value becomes one and a half hours on the original estimated. example: 3 story points read by the field story points multiplied 1.5 should become 4 hours and a half as a value in the field original estimated. In practice I do not understand how to do multiplications with Jira Automation. Can you help me ?

Guru October 25, 2020

Hi Kalos, Did you succeed in achieving your requirement? I am looking for the same but could not find any information and I couldn't succeed. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks
Guru

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user October 29, 2020

ciao @Guru no I couldn't solve with automation for Jira in the end we decided with my customer to reject the request and say that it can't be done with Jira cloud. The main problem was also due to the fact that Jira cloud doesn't automatically update the page after a change made with automation for Jira, but it forces the user to manually reload the page to see the new value of the custom field, so I decided that it was not a feature that added value to the project. I'm sorry therefore that I can't help you now.

Shilan Heravi March 16, 2021

In case anyone else runs into this @[deleted] @guru I was able to achieve this as following:

Notice that you need to add in the "d" or any other value. If you want to do calculations i.e. 1 pt = 0.5 days, then you will have to do something like this: 
If you don't want to do multiplication, you don't need to. take that out. 

{
"fields": {
"timetracking": {
"originalEstimate": "{{issue.Story Points.multiply(0.5)}}d",
"remainingEstimate": "{{issue.timetracking.remainingEstimate}}"
}
}
}

Like Guru likes this
1 vote
Tomas Myska [Onlio APS] November 23, 2018

Hello, Hana,

I know it's been a long time since you worked on this question. You can find the solution here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-to-change-timespent-with-an-automation-rule/qaq-p/401843

Example:image.png

In text:

{
    "fields": {
        "timetracking": {
              "originalEstimate": "10m",
              "remainingEstimate": "5m"
        }
    }
}

Tomas

0 votes
M May 26, 2015

Are your screens/field configuration set up to display "Time Tracking"? One thought would be it is effectively being set but you cannot view the estimate when looking at the issue if Time Tracking isn't enabled on the Screen configuration for that issue.

Hana Kovalcikova July 23, 2015

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your answer. The Time Tracking fields are enabled in the screen of the issue. So, it's not that problem...:(

Hana

Suggest an answer