JIRA Automation (Lite): what order are Tasks evaluated in?

Alex Harriss April 13, 2017

I have written several Automation Tasks in JIRA Automation (Lite). I have one rule that adds a Label on Issue Created and Issues Updated events.

I have another task based on the Issues CreatedUpdated event that looks for this Label as part of the JQL expression.

I am wondering in what order these tasks are evaluated? As in can I rely on the fact a Label has been applied in one task to use in another?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

Hi Alex,

We don't make any strong guarantees on what order rules will execute in at this stage.  Right now the rules will be executed in alphabetical order, but this could change in future (though we have no plans right now to change this).

In your example though, couldn't you just have a single rule, that adds more actions after the initial label has been applied, so you no longer have to worry about ordering?

I guess the other option would be to change your second rule to:

• Trigger: Field value changed (label)
  • JQL Condition: 'labels = yournewlabel'

(and make sure this rule can be triggered by other rules - check the checkbox in rule details)

Cheers,

Andreas

Alex Harriss June 29, 2017

Thanks Andreas – that's very helpful.

Suggest an answer