JIRA Attachments 404 message

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

Hello

I imported a project from jira instanceB into jira instanceA.

For the projects that are in instanceA I can see attachments, clik on attachments open files etc no issues. However when look at issues with attachments that I imported, I see the names of the files in attachment, but when I click on it I get 404 error

Here is the message I get when I click on the attachment link

Attachment /36222/test_data.xls was not found
Could not find what you were looking for. Maybe you should raise an issue.

I see the attachments are present in the data directory.

The difference I notice is that for projects in which the attachments are working when I mouse over the attachment file, I see full path http://jira.tcompany.com/secure/attachment/45678/mydata.xls

But for the imported project when I mouse over attachment I see partial path /36222/test_data.xls

I see in Administartion -> Attachments the attachments path is proper.

Can you please tell me how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Abe

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

Ok here is what happened..

I merged data on one system, took backup and moved it to another system. Now I thought since the folder structures of data folder is same, I could just copy individual project folders from source system ( so I just copied, with out transferring data folders from merged system)

Turns out while JIRA maintains folder names same, it renumbers actual file within the folders( not sure why this need to be done), so had to copy the data folders after merge from the system where I merged to target system and everything works.

Lost couple of nights sleep on this ..

Thanks

Abe

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2013

I should have given more details of what I did in my question for some one to answer..if they went through similar situation. But thanks for all your help.

Christoph Malassa August 11, 2016

I have the same or a similar problem but unfortunately I am unable to follow your solution.
I created an export from my source system but only imported one project into my target system. I then also transferred all attachments, but when I click on one in an issue, I get the 404 error. 

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

Yes. He means the user that runs the Jira instance. Also make sure that that user is the owner of the files and that the owner has full access to r+w the files.

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

Permisions look fine, any reason why it will have /36222/test_data.xls instead of http://jira.tcompany.com/secure/attachment/3622/tes_data.xls

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

Check the permission of the files/folders you copied. Make sure the JIRA user has read permissions on it.

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

By JIRA user do you mean the user who started JIRA server, this is a linux server.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

Yes. Btw, did you put the attachments before you di project import or after?

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

Before the project is imported, copied the attachements folder from instanceB to instanceA

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

What is the url on browser when you click on the attachment?

modha June 11, 2013

URL I see on browser: https://jira.tcompany.com/secure/attachment/36222/test_data.xls

In the message I see:

Attachment /36222/test_data.xls was not found.

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

URL I see on browser: https://jira.tcompany.com/secure/attachment/36222/test_data.xls

In the message I see:

Attachment /36222/test_data.xls was not found.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

Double check in your JIRA_HOME folder whetehr the attachments are there or not. I believe the importer does not import attachments.

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

I just copied attachments folder from InstanceB to InstanceA manually for this project into the attachments folder.

Suggest an answer