JIRA / Agile, sorting of versions in the Scrum Board

Timo Rumland January 20, 2014

Hello,

how is the sorting of versions in the scrum board defined (in the side bar on the left of the screen)? Currently I have three Versions:

- "1.7.x" - release on 2014-01-01

- "1.8.x" - release on 2014-02-01

- "1.9.x" - release on 2014-02-14

And the order of those versions in the side bar is:

- 1.8.x

- 1.7.x

- 1.9.x

I can't drag-and-drop them and the release date seems not to matter. Or is the order defined by the date I created the versions?

Thanks a lot for your help

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Timo Rumland January 20, 2014

I just discovered, that the order of versions in the JIRA project / manage version section is reflected to the order in the JIRA Agile scrum board. So I can sort the versions there.

Are there any other methods of sorting, e.g. automatic sorting by release date?

Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2014

Not at the moment. Project Administration is the only place to arrange Versions order.

(Note that the order will be reversed in an Agile board. In Project Administration, the latest Version will be at the bottom of the list, in Agile - at the top)

Heiko Haller May 11, 2015

Could you explain why versions are listed in reverse order in agile view? Sprints are sorted top down, so why are versions bottom-up? (So far, it is not intuitive for me. But mabe I can accept it if I understand the reason... ;)

Like Matt McClure likes this
Lili Sander June 10, 2016

Heiko's question is very relevant. Why are the releases ordered from least time-sensitive to most time-sensitive? Is there any plan to fix this @Dobroslawa Wierzbicka?

Antti Kaihola February 15, 2017

I agree with @Heiko Haller and @Lili Sander – reverse sorting doesn't make sense to anyone I asked in our team.

Bernardo San Juan February 22, 2017

I agree, ideally the scrum board mirrors the fix-version order as the the Project Administration Panel, as in that panel users are able to drag and drop order as it is done in the boards ordered by rank

3 votes
Brandon Schmidt December 4, 2014

Thanks for the tip, Timo. Unfortunately there's still a problem/limitation if your Scrum Board happens to include versions from multiple projects. You can re-order versions within a single project, but you can't arrange them between multiple projects.

Suggest an answer