JIRA Agile Workflow w/ Transitions

TJ Baker December 18, 2013

I am having a helluva time trying to wrap my mind around how to set up a proper workflow and add post function notices to send an update to HipChat. Or rather, how to do it without ending up with multiple statuses that an issue can be drug to when transitioned.

I have successfully set up transtiions, and the post function is sending a notice to the proper chat in HipChat, BUT, when I do this I get a new status to drag to .. which is what i don't want (I hope this makes sense).

Example, I have a status of 'Needs Info' that I would like to have notice be sent when an issue gets put into this column. When I create the transition to add the post function to, I cannot use 'needs info' as I get an error that the transition already exists, so I use 'request info' instead. Then when I change workflow shcemes I get two statuses in the Needs Info column: Needs Info and Request Info - of which the latter will send a notice when an issue is put into it.

How do I do this so that I have a signle status in a column that will send a post function notice?

Thanks in advance for reading this, and sorry if it's overly confusing.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gwilym Hughes January 1, 2014

Hi Zaridan,

There is a way to view / see / edit post functions in Diagram view:

You need to click on the cog on the transition step, not the status as the Conditions, Validators and Post Functions actually happen during the transition, then if sucessful, it goes to a new status. Conditions stop the transition even being visible, validators are information gained (from screens normally) when the transition is happening and Post Functions happen after the screen has had things netered onto it, but before the issue has moved to the new status.

They will not show if you have used Gloabl transitions (which I would use sparingly), so maybe this is why you are not seeing them?

Hope this helps!

G

TJ Baker January 1, 2014

Fantastic information Gwylym, thank you for sharing it!

I am indeed using 'Global Transitions' it seems.

Is there a simple way to change the 'global transition' into a 'regualr transition'?

2 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2013

Can't you just edit the current Needs Info transition instead of creating a new one?

TJ Baker December 19, 2013

Thanks Pedro. After messing around some more yesterday I found that either I don't understand the ussage of the workflow editor, or it's not well thought out... I'm sure it's the former :p

When in 'Diagram' view there is no way to view / see / edit post functions of the transitions, that is where I got thrown off first. The diagram items which I thought were representative of 'status' do not allow access to the functions, however, when I finally switched to Text view I was able to see that those items in the Diagram were actually transitions, and I could edit the post functions for them.

In any case, I got things to work as I'd like for now, even if I don't fully get how to use the Worflow editor nor what the difference between the presented transitions I thoguht were statuses and the transitions you draw between them to connect them are.

1 vote
Gwilym Hughes January 2, 2014

Hi Zaridan,

Unfortunatly, i dont believe there is. Although you can add the Transitions once, select the arrow tool "Create Transition", click the starting state, then the end state, and re-use them using "Use Common Transition", this will then mean they share the same properties like post functions.

Global transitions have their uses - I normally use them for admin / go to the start of workflow transitions, that can only be seen by Admin's for the project - and if it is a simple workflow (3-4 states) you may be ok with using just global transitions, so it all depends on your set-up.

Let me know how you get on!

G

TJ Baker January 2, 2014

Thank you G! This is very helpful information, and I really appreciate you taking time to share it!

Cheers!

Suggest an answer