JIRA Admins (Dashboard)

David.Guemes May 26, 2021

I’m reaching out to you, in related to the Dashboard topic, I included an "Issue Statics "graph, to identify the projects/epics assigned to my team, the problems is that alos that graph shows some data as “None” because they are related with the subtasks.

In this case the filter that I am applying is “Statistic Type: Epic Link”

Is there any way to show the subtasks and they don’t appear as “None”?? the problem is that tasks are not linked with the epics

Thanks in advance

Regards

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Hello @David.Guemes ,

If you select the Epic Link statistic type the subtasks will automatically appear in the "None" section because, as you said, they are not linked to any Epic.

You can for instance select the "Issue type" statistic that will display every issue without any "None" section.

Hope it helps,

Guilhem

David.Guemes May 26, 2021

Thanks Guilhem, the problem with "Issue type" is that only shows the items grouped together and I can't identify how many items/projects are in each epic, because the "Static Type = Epic link" does allow us to see the projects grouped by epic

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Okay @David.Guemes I understand better, 

But then, where do you want your subtasks to appear, as they are not linked to any epic ?

David.Guemes May 27, 2021

I'd like to know if there is any way to link the subtask with the epic or the father's project. I don' know how to do it. I didn't find out any field to link the subtasks with the epic or the project

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Ok I see, this one is kind of a pain in the king as you can't properly do this in Jira even though it is obvious that the subtask should be linked to the same Epic than the task it was generated from.

I guess you could achieve that by using an automation rule; create a text field called "epic-link-copy" for instance that copies the content of Epic Link on to every issue using it (don't just do it for sub-tasks, it's a lot more useful if you can use JQL like "epic-link-copy" = "my epic" and get every issue type).

Sorry, I am not an advanced user :-(

I don't know how to do it or what is JQL, please could you give me more details (steps) or a link with the info that shows me how to do it?

I was taking a look to a tutorial, I think your solution doesn't help me. I am getting the data in the report (all the fields/parameter tjat let me apply a filter are into the box, I mean I need to select the parameters available by JIRA in the "gadget") and the problem is that I can't link the sub-task with the father's project or the epic, I'm looking for a graph that show me all the Projects grouped by "epic" but I can't link the subtasks with them. I don't want to need the name all the projects, I just need to see how many projects are under an epic, but subtasks are recorded as "none" and it's weird to see an epic called as "none" that's why I wanted to link the subtask with an epic, because in that case the subtasks also would be added under the epic as a project or story....

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Oh, okay, yes it's a pretty advanced workaround and you need at least Project Admin permissions to execute it.

I'm not sure to understand everything, it doesn't make sense to me to group an Epic by project; an Epic is an issue type and a Project contains issues. That's true that an Epic from project A can be linked to issues in projects A, B & C, but still there is something I don't understand in what you're trying to do :/

Maybe the solution is to create a filter excluding the subtasks that you can put in your gadget (in the Jira search, select every issue type of your project excluding the "subtask" one). Then you'll have the same result than before but without the "None" category.

Sorry, my mistake, it's likely that I didn't explain it well. I am calling "projects" to the Tasks, Stories...and in the dashboard tab when I added a gadget (graph/report) as "Issue Statics" and filtering as “Statistic Type: Epic Link” I get those Taks, Stories...(not projects) grouped by the epic linked to them, but an the end of that graph appears "none"they are subtasks, because they are not linked with any epic, and I wanted to find out if there was any way to link those subtasks to an epic as the Tasks, Stories...because in that case the report is not going to show "none"

Like Guilhem Dupuy likes this
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Okay thank @David.Guemes it's clearer now !

To sum it all up, no there is no direct solution for that, there exist some complicated workarounds only like the one I explained.

Otherwise, you can still "hide" these "None" values by creating a filter excluding the subtasks and by using it in your gadget.

To create the filter, you can try the following one (to enter in the "advanced search" of Jira and then save as a filter) :

Project = "Name of your project" AND issuetype != Subtask

Ok, thanks Guilhem, I suppose that I'll keep using the current filter and I'll edit the graph to remove the "none" items
You can close this case

Like Guilhem Dupuy likes this

Suggest an answer