JIRA 7 doubts

I'm testing JIRA 7 EAP and I have some questions:

• Is there any way to upgrade JIRA 6 to JIRA 7?
  • Which application contains the items such as issues, workflows, screens or custom fields?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 votes
  • Sort of.  A standard upgrade process applies for going from 6 to 7, but you must not use it for production.  If you upgrade a 6.x to 7-EAP, you probably won't be able to move it to 7-supported, as it is an early access release.  Quite a lot of the EAPs have not had a migration path to the new product.  EAP is for testing only.
  • JIRA Core
1 votes

You can follow the rapid upgrade method: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-using-a-rapid-upgrade-method-312738529.html

Not sure what do you mean by the second part of the question.

Just be aware of the changes in JIRA 7: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/latest-updates/preparing-for-jira-7-0

Thank you for your quick answer @Nic Brough [Adaptavist].

I'm just testing it and I have not planned to use it in a Production environment because it's still an EAP version.

However I was looking for documentation and I didn't found any about it.

So, the standard upgrade process will be still valid? Executing the bin or exe file of the JIRA 7 version would upgrade the JIRA 6 version?

About the applications, if you have some applications, JIRA Core always store the items such as workflows?

Jobin Kuruvilla thank you. What I mean is in JIRA 6 a workflow is related to the JIRA application. A board is related to JIRA Agile application. So, in JIRA 7, if you have some applications instaled, JIRA Core will allways store the workflows?

Yes, correct!

Is there any early documentation of JIRA 7 EAP?

Jobin Kuruvilla but I can have installed JIRA Service Desk without JIRA Core application. Workflows would be stored in JIRA Service Desk then?

No. If you take SD, you get Core as part of it.

Ok, every application have JIRA Core in it?

Yes, they rely on it for all the stuff you're asking about.

Then, if you only have SD, you only pay SD license although SD have a JIRA Core inside. Isn't it?

Yes, you'll only pay the SD licence. But it is twice what Core is. Because half of it is for Core probably.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,934 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot