JIRA 7 doubts

Francesc_Arbó September 22, 2015

I'm testing JIRA 7 EAP and I have some questions:

• Is there any way to upgrade JIRA 6 to JIRA 7?
  • Which application contains the items such as issues, workflows, screens or custom fields?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2015
  • Sort of.  A standard upgrade process applies for going from 6 to 7, but you must not use it for production.  If you upgrade a 6.x to 7-EAP, you probably won't be able to move it to 7-supported, as it is an early access release.  Quite a lot of the EAPs have not had a migration path to the new product.  EAP is for testing only.
  • JIRA Core
1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2015

You can follow the rapid upgrade method: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-using-a-rapid-upgrade-method-312738529.html

Not sure what do you mean by the second part of the question.

Just be aware of the changes in JIRA 7: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/latest-updates/preparing-for-jira-7-0

0 votes

Jobin Kuruvilla but I can have installed JIRA Service Desk without JIRA Core application. Workflows would be stored in JIRA Service Desk then?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2015

No. If you take SD, you get Core as part of it.

Ok, every application have JIRA Core in it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2015

Yes, they rely on it for all the stuff you're asking about.

Then, if you only have SD, you only pay SD license although SD have a JIRA Core inside. Isn't it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2015

Yes, you'll only pay the SD licence. But it is twice what Core is. Because half of it is for Core probably.

0 votes

Is there any early documentation of JIRA 7 EAP?

Shawn C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2015
0 votes

Jobin Kuruvilla thank you. What I mean is in JIRA 6 a workflow is related to the JIRA application. A board is related to JIRA Agile application. So, in JIRA 7, if you have some applications instaled, JIRA Core will allways store the workflows?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2015

Yes, correct!

0 votes

Thank you for your quick answer @Nic Brough [Adaptavist].

I'm just testing it and I have not planned to use it in a Production environment because it's still an EAP version.

However I was looking for documentation and I didn't found any about it.

So, the standard upgrade process will be still valid? Executing the bin or exe file of the JIRA 7 version would upgrade the JIRA 6 version?

About the applications, if you have some applications, JIRA Core always store the items such as workflows?

Suggest an answer