JIRA 7.4.2 - How to assign an issue to the creator

Jörg Bofinger August 22, 2017

Hi community,

I'am a newbee in administering JIRA and challanged with the question...
"Ho to get an issue creator automatically assigned to an issue"?

When I'm logged in to JIRA as a normal team member hwo can open an issue, after the creation of it this is still unassigned.

During the creation the assignee filed is filled with the "automatically assign"

I run JIRA in the version 7.4.2 and have installed the addons "Scriptrunner" and "Suite Utilities for Jira" - both in the newest version

Can anyone please help me....

I'm sure that there is probably a simple solution for that

Cheers - Jörg

2 answers

0 votes
Jörg Bofinger August 23, 2017

Hi guys...

just tried out your suggested solution...but it failed!

Muy Jira 7.4.2 ist quite new...an for the test I created a new project with the default schemes and workflows.

I tried out your configurations but the issues stays unassigend...

Just for your info - the project type is a business project with the 3 step workflow - open - in progress - done

Thanks in advance for your support...

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2017

Your requirement is pretty straight-forward to implement. You don't need any plugin for it.

In the *post-function* of the *create* transition of the workflow just use the built-in post-function

*Assign to reporter*

Advance workflow configuration - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver074/advanced-workflow-configuration-881683764.html

In the above link, read the section on "Post functions"

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2017

I would suggest using the "Assign to Current User" function. During creation, it is possible to change reporter and the reporter might be a different users during the execution of the post function.

Like Cynthia Carter likes this

Suggest an answer