JIRA 7.1.2. install, user installed/purchased plugins missing

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

After installing JIRA 7.1.2 all of our user-installed/purchased plugins are missing. This means all of the applinks, configurations, and mappings are gone for our integration's with SalesForce, ZenDesk, and GitHub. Not to mention my Script Runner scripts and JIRA Automation rules.

Is this expected behavior?

1 answer

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Hey Jeanne!

That's definitely not expected behavior!  A few questions:

• What version of JIRA did you upgrade from?
  • Did you perform a compatibility check on the plugins prior to the upgrade?
  • For your purchased plugins, were all their licenses up to date prior to the upgrade?
  • I assume that you can log in okay and see all your issues, etc?

Good luck!

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

Cody,

We install using a side-by-side methodology. We do not upgrade "in place".

We were at JIRA 6.4.5 with all of our plugins up to date (versions and licenses). I installed JIRA 7.1.2, creating new INSTALL and HOME directories. I then update the dbconfig.xml to point to our test db.

We have always installed this way - it gives us a quick roll back if needed, we just restore the DB from backup and point to the previous INSTALL/HOME directories.

I can login, and do see all my projects and tickets.

I am wondering if I just need to drop the indexes and force them to recreate "from scratch" on a restart.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2016

Sounds like you haven't copied all the data from the old home directory to the new one?

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

I see, and totally understand.  I don't have any personal experience with that sort of upgrade, but let me ask around/research and see if I can come up with a solution.

In the meantime, hopefully someone else can jump in and offer their experience!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2016

If you didn't copy the full content of the home directory, the plugins won't be there on the disk. But, your data for them should be safe.  You should find that re-installing them from the UPM gets you a "ok, found a licence for this, so I'm enabling it" and then the functions should jump back into life.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

This was going to be my suggestion, too, Nic.  Thanks!

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2016

I was able to re-install the plugins without issue, but none of the configuration/integration's were restored. Having to re-do all of it will take several days, which is a problem when it comes to production install. sad

I am going to re-try the install in another test env to see if this happens again or if it was something unique with the env I was in.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2016

That suggests the add-on data is not in the database.  I think this patching approach is possibly losing something somewhere.

Instead of your side-by-side method, could you do a full upgrade, as close to the standard process as possible?  Recreate your current JIRA on a test machine (i.e. copy the installation and home directories, and hook it up to a copy of the database).  Then use the installer to upgrade it in the standard way (run it, point it at your test install and tell it to upgrade)

Suggest an answer