JIRA 6: What's the differences between "Commits" and "Source" tabs

Shijun Kong July 29, 2013

Recently upgraded to JIRA 6, now for each issue, there is a new "Commits" tab ahead of the "Source" tab.

for the "Source" tab, it still works as it is, connects to fisheye 3.x instance properly with commit information associated by commit message.

for the "Commits" tab, however, it shows three connection options (bitbucket, github and fisheye).

my questions:

1. what's the differences between "Commits" and "Source"
  2. why "Commits" does not pick up the application link used by "Source"?

17 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Gurleen Anand [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2013

Hi Shijun,

Yes, you can disable the JIRA DVCS Connector plugin: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Use+the+JIRA+DVCS+Connector+Plugin in JIRA to remove the "commits" tab.

Thanks,

Gurleen

DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2014

But you're not answering the question! Why was the commit tab introduced if nothing seems to showing up under it?

3 votes
Felipevsw
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2013

The commits tab is for the Bitbucket integration (with Git or Mercurial), while the Source tab is for the integration with SVN.

hi @Felipe, the answer sounds straight forward. However, why other options (stash and fisheye) display there, really confusing.

is there a way to get rid of it? switch off the corresponding plugin?

what display on "Commits" tab:

Connect your code to JIRA

Link every code change to JIRA just by adding an issue keys in commit messages. Bridge the gap back to your source and know which changes fixed which JIRA issues.

Git & Mercurial in the cloud

Collaborate across unlimited private code repositories.

Git behind the firewall

Manage and collaborate on Git repositories behind a firewall.

Browse and search code

Browse, search, and track source code repositories.
Jay Barra September 11, 2013

We're using Mercurial and my commits are showing up under the source tab and the commits tab still doesn't show anything even though I'm connected to Fisheye.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2014

The teaser for Fisheye (what we use for SVN) mentions nothing about DVCS, and has been really confiusing to users.

Browse and search code

But we already have app links fully configured. This message is just misleasing, and clicking COnnect does nothing but show our existing links.
Huge failure.
2 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2014

Hi there,

FishEye integration is displayed in the Source tab, as explained in the documents below:

There is a ticket open to remove the FishEye and Stash integration message from the Commits tab:

You may vote on the above ticket and add yourselves as watchers to be notified of any relevant updates.

I hope this information helps.

Cheers,

Danilo

James Green January 30, 2014

Given under the Source tab I am looking at commits provded by Fisheye, having a Commits tab appears to be utterly redundant. Moving this to the issue however.

2 votes
spydersoft December 4, 2013

Using JIRA 6.1, I don't see any instructions on disabling the DVCS Connector in the link provided. We are using a Fisheye application link, so the Source tab populates correctly. If the Commits tab is only for BitBucket/GitHub, I should be able to disable it and remove that tab. As mentioned by others, it's confusing to have both when one works and one does not.

1 vote
Yannick R. November 1, 2013

To be honest I think it is confusing too. I'm trying to setup Stash with our Jira installation and I just found that Stash's commits are shown in the source tab and not in the commits one.

Also, like @Andreas said, it's a little bit painful to work with the source tab while Jira Agile shows only the Commits one.

1 vote
Joakim Eriksson August 22, 2013

Still curious over here, cause our stash commits appear under "source" and not under "Commits" - even though it's indicated by the plugin it's supposed to appear under commiits..?

0 votes
Rodrigo Moreno February 25, 2014

same... Is there some instructions to do that?

0 votes
Massimo Corà February 19, 2014

same here. Please provide any instructions on how to proceed, thanks.

0 votes
Hubert Brzostowski January 16, 2014

To hide this tab(Commits) you need to disable plugin JIRA DVCS Connector Plugin in administrative options (Manage add-ons).

0 votes
Erick van Rijk December 10, 2013

Same issue here, Its confusing. We are using JIRA 6.1 and STASH 2.9 and our commits show up under source. However in the Commits TAB it shows STASH next to bitbucket????

0 votes
Erick van Rijk December 10, 2013

Same issue here, Its confusing. We are using JIRA 6.1 and STASH 2.9 and our commits show up under source. However in the Commits TAB it shows STASH next to bitbucket????

0 votes
julianrupp November 17, 2013

Same thing, I was close to going mad because I simply couldn't think of a reason why it'd still show that screen even though I already had a 2-way trusted application link set up.

Well, disabling the system plugin as described by @Gurleen of course kills off the symptoms, but this still is highly confusing. Why not just kill off the Source tab and add that functionality to the already-existing dedicated DVCS plugin? (The stuff shown in the Source tab is grouped in commits anyway) Having two tabs for essentially the same function, just connecting to different services, looks rather wonky to me.

0 votes
Christophe Leite October 22, 2013

Is there a way to hide Commits tab ? I don't need this tab on my issue screen...

Thanks

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

See the answer by @Gurleen.

0 votes
Deleted user September 25, 2013

same problem here :(

0 votes
Andreas Kjær September 4, 2013

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I need it to work with the commits tab as this is the only tab showing in Greenhopper/Agile details view! Very annoying!

0 votes
Laurent Bourgault-Roy July 29, 2013

Wondering the same thing myself. My Stash commit appear in source tabs, but I am a bit confused with the "commits" tabs that don't seem to do anything.

0 votes

hi @Felipe, the answer sounds straight forward. However, why other options (stash and fisheye) display there, really confusing.

is there a way to get rid of it? switch off the corresponding plugin?

what display on "Commits" tab:

Connect your code to JIRA

Link every code change to JIRA just by adding an issue keys in commit messages. Bridge the gap back to your source and know which changes fixed which JIRA issues.

Git & Mercurial in the cloud

Collaborate across unlimited private code repositories.

Git behind the firewall

Manage and collaborate on Git repositories behind a firewall.

Browse and search code

Suggest an answer