JIRA 6.3.5a Why the 'a'?

Davet September 9, 2014

On the download page the latest JIRA version is listed as 6.3.5

The download links show as pointing to 6.3.5a

The release notes make no mention of 6.3.5a - that I can see anyway.

Can someone clarify this please? 

2 answers

0 votes
Davet September 10, 2014

Thanks for your reply but since i use the .tar.gz without an installer none of this means much to me.

I do not understand at all about a 50% chance.

There has not been a alpha character attached to the packages for many years and I am hoping that someone from Atlassian may be able to explain why this has suddenly appeared.

In my understanding an alpha character would normally indicate a interim or quick-fix release?

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2014

Hi David,

The product is actually the same, the difference is the installation method. Version 6.3.5a actually has a simpler installation method whereas the 'Try JIRA' blue button while you're installing the product will install the product for evaluation, setting up all application properties and the database (HSQLDB) automatically.

In version 6.3.5, the usual setup process is followed, which is the same process as if you click on "I know what I'm doing" on 6.3.5a. That means that you'll manually setup the database and application properties.

Downloading JIRA from https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download has a 50% chance of downloading the 'a' version. smile

I hope this clarifies a bit!

Suggest an answer