JIRA 6.2: How to use inactive users in user picker field?

Todor Kostadinov April 23, 2014

Hi,

I'm using group picker field as a starting point for extracting information from jira DB ( custom table with Active Directory information ) thru Kepler database custom field.

But after upgrade to 6.2 ( from 5.2.4 ) when I try to use user which is marked as inactive in our AD ( LDAP ), I receive message: "User '******' is not valid for this user picker.

The information is extracted and the Kepler DBCF are filed with info from our jira DB, but I'm not able to create the issue with this inactive user in the user picker field.

Any way to use inactive users in jira user picker field?

7 answers

2 votes
Steve Cagle March 2, 2015

We, too, would like to be able to use the user picker to be able to assign custom fields to inactive users for reporting purposes.  If I start typing in active users it pulls up suggestions.  It doesn't for inactive users.  But if I type in the inactive user's account name, I can still use their name.  So the ability for the user picker to "see" inactive users is there.  It just doesn't auto suggest them.

2 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2014

First - why would you want to use inactive users.

I think you'll not be able to do much with inactive users as JIRA denies using inactive users anywhere. This also might be related to the fact that the inactive user does not count for the number of users used for the current JIRA license.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-Deactivatingauser

1 vote
Scott Ellis July 20, 2014

We also relied on the user picker to allow inactive users in selections

1 vote
Todor Kostadinov May 12, 2014

I can't find working solution, so I'll close this question.

Jason Young February 12, 2020

@Todor Kostadinov I believe closing the question is misleading; please reopen if you can.

Todor Kostadinov February 12, 2020

Sorry, I can't find a way to reopen the question.

1 vote
Todor Kostadinov May 6, 2014

Anyone?

1 vote
Todor Kostadinov April 23, 2014

Hi Boris,

the reason we want to use inactive users - we have multiple outside contractors who need AD samaccount in order to access others systems, but not the AD itself. Thats why these kind of users are created and instantly marked with inactive flag. And we need to extract all the possible info about users, even for inactive ones.

Hi Florin,

it is not true that only users that can login can be used in user picker. I saw that the most of the people have asked for the opositive option, but why it is not a configurable option?!?

1 vote
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2014

Hi Todor,

AFAIK JIRA 6.2 only allows users which can log in in user pickers. Contrary to your request, people have asked to remove this behavior https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-30412Also see the linked issue for a full discussion on limited user pickers.

As a side note, I don't see a connection to the DBCF plugin you mention in your question or the Kepler Custom Fields plugin you tagged in the question. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Suggest an answer