JIRA 6.2.5 comment collapsing/folding by default

Szymon Baranowski July 23, 2014

Hi,
I cannot find a solution to set comment collapsing/folding as default inside Jira Issues. Tickets from external users often include long mail footers and it would be great to fold it by default so when there are even 2-3 comments you don't need to scroll down for ages. jira.comment.collapsing.minimum.hidden isn't really what I'm looking for.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes

I've tried setting it to 1 and still doesn't fold long comments by default. I am not sure if this is really what I need and doesn't work or is it completely different thing cause of 'The minimum number of comments needing to be hidden for comment collapsing to occur. 0 means there will be no comment' description in JIRA. To me it sounds like something different to what I need.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2014

Hi Szymon,

JIRA automatically collapses comments by default after few comments. There is a property that controle this. This feature can be disabled as described in below documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Disable+comment+auto+collapse+in+JIRA

-Mirek

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2014

Oh.. Now I noticed that you mentioned about this propertie that I was having in mind..

jira.comment.collapsing.minimum.hidden isn't really what I'm looking for.

Why is this not an option for you?

I've tried setting it to 1 and still doesn't fold long comments by default. I am not sure if this is really what I need and doesn't work or is it completely different thing cause of 'The minimum number of comments needing to be hidden for comment collapsing to occur. 0 means there will be no comment' description in JIRA. To me it sounds like something different to what I need.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2014

I think that setting this to 1 will show you only 1 comment when there is more than 10 in the tickets. Rest of comments will be hidden. I didn't test that but if you are not seeing the result it may be the case...

In general if you are having problem with the users footers that are too long, then maybe you could find an option to trim this and not include in the comment before adding it.

Other option that you could try.. adding a JavaScript code somewhere that will by default fold long comments or comments with a specific content. But this requires some development and I am not sure about the results. I just think that this should be possible.

Szymon Baranowski July 24, 2014

Using JS is definitely correct, before migrating to newer version of JIRA we used this solution. I was just thinking of some native atlassian solution.

Suggest an answer