JIRA 6.1 upgrade deletes windows service.

Greg Davis November 19, 2013

I'm upgrading JIRA 6.0.7 to 6.1.3 on a Windows 7 64 bit pc where I am an administrator. I am running the upgrade as administrator and it appears to complete.

But it deletes the old Windows 6.0.7 service and does not create a new one.

I picked the option to upgrade the existing one when running the upgrade.

I have had this same problem when upgrading on our Windows 8 32 bit dev and 64 bit Production servers going from 5.1 to 6.0 and had to do a new install and restore from backup which was very time consuming.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2013

Hi Greg

Can you please try to have a read on https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+as+a+Service#RunningJIRAasaService-Troubleshooting

Besides, this similar issue also being raised in here before that: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/167839/jira-service-is-not-installing perhaps you can refer on the discussion as well to get an idea on how to troubleshoot your case here.

Hopefully it will help you a little ;)

Greg Davis November 20, 2013

Daryl, neither seems to apply. I'm talking just running the newer install while the older version is installed and running per the instructions. The old service is deleted by the new installation but the service is not added back for the new code.

The strange thing is it's hit or miss. I have had it work one time and not the next and I'm not changing my process. As an example on my current dev instance on my laptop it exhibited the behavior.

So I uninstalled JIRA completely except for the application data files and the database. I then ran the older install 6.0 again and got it running in the same folders as before. Then I ran the 6.1 exe again the same way as before and this time it worked as expected. It deleted the service and added the new one as part of the upgrade.

This has happened on my dev and prod instances that are Windows 2008 servers too. It's not a show stopper as I can still just install from scratch since I backup my instances prior to upgrading. But it's an annoyance that adds time to the upgrade process.

I opened a ticket too and, of course, could not duplicate it at the time. But I'm upgrading our real dev instance tonight and will see how it behaves and provide a log to the ticket if it fails.

Thanks, Greg

Suggest an answer